Rhale

Buck stitch chisels

Does anyone know where I can purchase 5/32” flat, straight buck stitching chisels in 6 to 8 prongs!  All I can find in 3 prong! Thanks 

5/32" (4 mm) wide chisel with what pitch (distance between chisels) or does the pitch even matter? All I can find are 1/8" (3-3-3.1 mm) wide chisel with 5/32" pitch. 

There is a guy on utube demonstrating Buckstitching that is also selling just what you are looking for, Rhale

The distance between the points doesn’t matter much I would prefer 5/32” or 3/16” ! Thanks    The utube you spoke of is Makers Leather and they are out of stock! Thanks 

4 hours ago, Rhale said:

Does anyone know where I can purchase 5/32” flat, straight  buck stitching chisels in 6 to 8 prongs!  All I can find in 3 prong! Thanks 

011-27000.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=12

Set,Chisel,DiamPoint,11pc

SKU: 011-27000

Retail: $65.00
Wholesale: $52.00

Details

11 pc Diamond Point Stitching Chisel Set. Comes with 1 handle and 10 interchangeable heads: 2mm single prong, and 1 each; 2, 4 and 6 prongs in 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32" spacing. Item #011-27000.

17 hours ago, Rhale said:

Does anyone know where I can purchase 5/32” flat, straight buck stitching chisels in 6 to 8 prongs!  All I can find in 3 prong! Thanks 

Tim found exactly what you want, 4mm = 5/32, link below.. It states on the page that the guy used the same set to lace the belt, to me the lace holes look angled so I enlarged the picture and they do look angled, am I seeing things things incorrectly or are they angled? 

https://makersleathersupply.com/collections/lacing-and-buckstitching-supplies/products/buckstitch-chisels

I have a 5/32 chisel in two separate style hand presses. One is a cheap auto feed hole punch machine that Tandy sold years ago and a dedicated chisel in a cast iron hand press type machine, but would take a while. I always put a chisel in my Landis 3, set the stitch length and start feeding it around, works great, I remove the shuttle to do this. Sewing machines can be modified to do a lot hole punching type work.

Edited by ryano

ryano,

Generally the lace holes are straight. they give the appearance of being angled due to the need to turn the lacing to get it through the hole.

buckstitchin' must be "coming back"?  they were sold out of these last year too.

somebody helped themself to my buckstitch chisels years ago, never did replace them.

buckstitching is angled punches, at least all mine are. Have had them since the 60's. if they are straight? then you are doing a running stitch, correct? tandy has a buckstitch punch and it is angled,  I believe that is what Al Stohlman shows in his book on Buckstitching. at least that is what I am used too since I have been doing LW. might of changed now.

The pictured stitching chisels above are for sewing not buck stitching!  Makers Leather Supply are sold out of the large size for 5/32”!  There are both straight and angled buck stitching chisels,  the straight is what I call the old style and what I am looking for! Thanks