Does neatsfoot oil get ruined if frozen?

I ordered a bottle from my supplier but at this time of the year it inavoidably froze somewhat during shipping. :(

yes it can. It usually says on the container 'do not allow to freeze' or 'do not store below x* temperature' for this reason

Defreeze slowly, mixing the oils together constantly and it may be saved

@#$%^&*

Actually, no, there weren't any warnings:

https://www.lonsdaleleather.com/supplies/pure-neatsfoot-oil

Checking Tandy's catalog for their offerings has the "Freezing does not harm" icon. Weird.

I took it out of the box and shook it, then left it to thaw at room temperature. It seems mostly liquid now, but there are some particles floating in it. :thinking:

Edited by Hardrada

I used to get my pure nfo from Le Prevo and their bottles always carried a warning. One year one bottle got to 2* and semi frozen. It was never the same. The oils and fats had separated. I just checked my other bottles of Fiebings and none have any warning.

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

Does neatsfoot oil get ruined if frozen?

I've had neatsfoot oil that didn't fare well over a very cold winter, and looked to have been affected by the cold (instead of being golden and smooth, it was murky and lumpy). When I heated a pan of water and placed the bottle into the warm water for about 20 minutes, viola, it returned to normal. 

I see.

I've never handled/worked with neatsfoot oil before, so I dunno what to expect. Even sans the freezing issue I didn't know what to expect. Only thing about it I know is that it darkens the leather it's applied to. This is gonna be interesting.

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

When I heated a pan of water and placed the bottle into the warm water for about 20 minutes, viola, it returned to normal.

Warm enough that you can put your hand in it? Or coffee-hot warm?

It doesn't need to cover the bottle, does it? The pans I have are about 2/3 of the height of that bottle.

Warm enough that you can put your hand in it? Or coffee-hot warm?

It doesn't need to cover the bottle, does it? The pans I have are about 2/3 of the height of that bottle.

Hot coffee hot

no, but at least 1/2 up. Shake well as it heats up. Mix the oils and fats.

I notice in the winter when my basement is colder, my bottle of NFO develops whitish particles that settle to the bottom.

I put the bottle in my double boiler and heat it up until it turns clear again and it’s good to use again.  Doesn’t take long and you don’t need high heat.

It also works better slightly heated up when applying penetrates the fibres better just remember a little goes a long way - its easy to saturate your leather/project and you will be lucky to save it if you do apply to much. Its used a lot in racing stables for tack that is going to be stored or tack that has been stored. I have seen many items of tack with way to much neatsfoot oil on rendered useless for a long time because it has been saturated with people applying it cold and way to much.

Hope this helps

JCUK

I have a jug of NFO that is over 50 years old.  It sat in a shed in temperatures ranging from -40 to 35C.  It is still just fine.  I don't know the original source.  It has and amber colour to it.  So I would say, if it really is NFO, freezing won't hurt it.  Also note that it comes from the lower part of cows legs, subject to really cold conditions depending on where the cow ranges.  That part of the leg if I remember right doesn't have much if any blood circulation and the oils/fats are a result of years of natural adaptation.

Check this out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

31 minutes ago, Northmount said:

I have a jug of NFO that is over 50 years old. 

T'is either a very big jug or you don't use it very much   :P  :lol:

1 hour ago, fredk said:

T'is either a very big jug or you don't use it very much

Was originally in an imperial gallon glass jug for about 40 years before I got it.  So must be over 60 years old.  Belonged to an old farmer that used it to oil his harness (if he ever got around to it, harness was in really bad repair).  My brother picked it up, there was a crack in the jug so he transferred it to a plastic jug.  Must be close to 2 L left.  And no, I don't use a lot.  Main use has been to oil some harness I have on display, plus the one I had on display before that. Don't use much on small items from time to time.

Deviation off topic: My father had an old friend who had a car servicing garage. Near the back was an old battered 50 gallon drum of motor-oil

' yup, I've been using that same barrel of oil for over 30 years now'

'You've never run out?'

' nope, when it gets a bit low I get the prentice to put some more in it. Same barrel of oil for over 30 years'

No1 and I call that a 'Trigger's Broom'. Some UK readers might understand that

9 minutes ago, fredk said:

Deviation off topic: My father had an old friend who had a car servicing garage. Near the back was an old battered 50 gallon drum of motor-oil

' yup, I've been using that same barrel of oil for over 30 years now'

'You've never run out?'

' nope, when it gets a bit low I get the prentice to put some more in it. Same barrel of oil for over 30 years'

No1 and I call that a 'Trigger's Broom'. Some UK readers might understand that

Just rewatching now never gets old 

9 hours ago, Northmount said:

I have a jug of NFO that is over 50 years old.  It sat in a shed in temperatures ranging from -40 to 35C.  It is still just fine.  I don't know the original source.  It has and amber colour to it.  So I would say, if it really is NFO, freezing won't hurt it.  Also note that it comes from the lower part of cows legs, subject to really cold conditions depending on where the cow ranges.  That part of the leg if I remember right doesn't have much if any blood circulation and the oils/fats are a result of years of natural adaptation.

Check this out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

So, it really comes from feet. :huh: Yeah, it does smell of animal flesh/fat.

Thanks for that info. I've just tested it and it seems OK.