Hairic

Creating oiled leather?

Ok so sorry if its been asked, Can you take Veg Tan leather and make it like an oiled leather, I know the answer is yes, but im curious how its done properly, Im still new to leather and recently made a drawing/sketch book, After it was done i didnt like how stiff it was, so I tore it apart and watched a few things, then dunked it in oil, Just used vegetable oil as Its just a book from scraps, and it worked pretty well actually, But now it seems like the oil will leak out forever.  So any advise on proper ways to do that would be great. pics of below

20201231_130208.jpg

20201231_130216.jpg

20201231_130248.jpg

Oiled Leather and oiling leather are two different things

Best to use pure Neats Foot Oil, aka NFO. Apply just a small amount to dry leather. Allow it to soak in for a few hours. Its easy to apply too much and impossible to get it out so apply only small amounts.

I use a beeswax/carnauba wax/nfo mix which I rub on. That way just a small amount of nfo is applied

Thanks for the reply, So with that Is it possible to create oiled leather or is that only A process for the tannery?  I ask because on the book, The lighter brown I dunked straight in oil and then have rubbed as much out as I could, But it did give me that floppy feel like an oil leather, the darker leather on that I stained first, then dunked it, didn't get the same result, which actually worked out ok, Just know it wasn't the right way to do it. But I like to experiment...  

Edited by Hairic

'Oiled Leather' has had oils forced into the leather at the tannery. I don't think we can do the same job at our craft nooks

Ok that's what I was kind of assuming, But wasn't sure if I let it soak/dry for a few weeks if it could be the same, Again I just made this book to experiment with.  I have never used oiled leather from tannery, Always used vegtan but after my little test I want to get to using oiled leather in things as it is much different .