peterbound

Buckle shortage?

Does anyone know what’s going on with the vendors for buckles out there? Weaver has been sold out of 1 1/2 center bar buckles for a hot minute, and I don’t know the cause. 

Edited by peterbound

I think, like a lot of other supplies, workers are not at the factories turning out the goods and the supply chain is getting used up

On 12/31/2020 at 2:43 PM, Retswerb said:

@TonySFLDLTHR, do you have any insight on this?

As some others have talked about before, most of hardware and buckles come from overseas. That's not to say some hardware is made in the US, but it is not the majority.

We have been struggling to get it on a boat to get it here...two fold issue...slow boat (hahaha) and no product to put on the boat (or smaller qty). I know I can say we are doing our best to source new buckles and hardware...we have some on the way, but the process is painfully slow. All of this is now coupled with Covid and the Chinese New Year celebrations coming up in Feb.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:27 PM, peterbound said:

Does anyone know what’s going on with the vendors for buckles out there? Weaver has been sold out of 1 1/2 center bar buckles for a hot minute, and I don’t know the cause. 

Is there a certain buckle that you were trying to get? We might have it and if not we might have a source for you to get it.

1 hour ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

We have been struggling to get it on a boat to get it here...two fold issue...slow boat (hahaha)

"haha" is code for China.

I'm guessing another reason may be that a lot of college children are taking up leather work.  Look at the Reddit boards and they're wandering everywhere.  A lot make cosplay items like bracers and armor and the like.  I see arm bracers and leggings that have six buckles each--24 total.  I blame the Klingons.

21 hours ago, mike02130 said:

"haha" is code for China.

I'm guessing another reason may be that a lot of college children are taking up leather work.  Look at the Reddit boards and they're wandering everywhere.  A lot make cosplay items like bracers and armor and the like.  I see arm bracers and leggings that have six buckles each--24 total.  I blame the Klingons.

I think Klingons might be code for China too.  :lol:

I was going to jokingly say that someone doesn't want us to take advantage of our right to keep and bear buckles, and then that "When buckles are outlawed, only outlaws will have buckles," but I won't.  I believe that there is just a general slowdown in shipping and a lot of stuff is on back-order.  I checked with my favorite vendor in Ramseur, NC, and was told that this was their problem.  I drove the 40 miles to the store and about half of what I wanted was not there.  Fortunately, I tend to stockpile when I can find those rare items, like the brass hooks associated with old leather rifle slings, such as for the 1903 Springfield.  (Those were steel, by the way).  

Max's own 1903 Springfield belt.jpg

9 hours ago, MaxDolan said:

like the brass hooks associated with old leather rifle slings, such as for the 1903 Springfield

Been curious about those—both the hooks and the slings. Don't the hooks come out of the holes when the sling is slackened? :thinking:

On 1/3/2021 at 7:32 PM, Hardrada said:

Been curious about those—both the hooks and the slings. Don't the hooks come out of the holes when the sling is slackened? :thinking:

there are leather loops that you push down next to the hook that keeps them in place.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, fredk said:

I think, like a lot of other supplies, workers are not at the factories turning out the goods and the supply chain is getting used up

That is the main reason in getting delays on orders being put in . One person test positive, That person goes home for 14 days, and then everyone else that 'thinks' they had 'possible' contact can go home for 14 days.
Seems like everyone is waiting for something that is not getting filled on-time with making an order. I been waiting since Nov. for an order of 1-k buckles from distributor, and they finally got they order going out to me ups today . From what they are saying to me on phone calls , It's just the normal quantity demand for the items, but Both, them/distributor and the manufacture have been running shorthanded on staff/employees from all the covid horseshit that is still going on.