DaveP

Hard leather use?

With the belly portion of your shoulder or side what can you use the extremely hard part for? I'm mainly making knife sheaths and practicing carving and stamping.  These edge pieces are so hard that they're hardly bendable.  Parts near the tanning clip marks. Some are fairly large in size.  Seems a waste to just trash it. 

Thanks again 

You're right, they are hard

I made a part that wasn't too bad into axe covers - not exactly beautiful, but they did the job

Could make sheaths & covers for machetes & billhooks - not the fold over type, but rougher, heavy duty, 2 piece front & back type. Search YouTube for 'making a machete sheath' and 'making a billhook sheath' ; you'll see the sort of thing. No need to enclose the entire tool or blade if you don't want to; just a cutting edge cover, and a few straps to hold it in place

Other parts I made into chest protectors for spoon carving

You could try making cases for curved spoon carving knives

Or a stacked leather knife handle

Odd shaped leftovers I just used up for trying dyes & greases, and as a support for punches & stitching irons

You can also use belly leather to make a strop

Thin some leather grease slightly with white spirit aka mineral thinners and slap it on, that will soak in and soften it a bit, as well as proofing it. Or try neatsfoot oil

Don't bother trying to make it look pretty, go for the tough/heavy duty/rustic/chunky look

Edited by zuludog

Some great ideas there! I actually need a are blade cover for an old Hudson Bay area. 

Thank you!