DustinSmith

Tandy Pro Japanese pricking irons

I have been looking for some good stitching chisels for awhile now that don't come from across the pond and pulled the trigger on some Tandy Pro irons today and decided to share some test results. These "pricking irons" will actually punch through the leather and make some nice holes. The French style won't but these will. I just wanted to give everyone a closer look if anyone was on the fence about them, granted I only just got them today so this is all preliminary and not long term use. I tested them on 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 9-10 and lastly 14 oz top to bottom in the picture, using a 16 oz barry king maul. Went through like butter with one strike on everything but the 14 oz

Ps I am not affiliated with Tandy in any way and only buy hardware there occasionally 

20210103_181421.jpg

20210103_181406.jpg

20210103_181325.jpg

20210103_181344.jpg

What thread size best fills the hole and do the holes close well after hammering?

Here is .8mm thread and the holes with light behind them

20210103_202634.jpg

20210103_202623.jpg

Looks great, thanks.

I'd say they work exceptionally well based on those results.  Would like to see a 0.6 mm Tiger Thread in those holes.

I agree, .6 would be right, .8 is all I had on hand

Lost me at the photo of the label which shews the provenance. :nono:

Thanks for posting that, though. So many manufacturers and even reviewers nowadays gloss over or go to extents to hide where things are made, which pretty much tells you where indeed.

Edited by Hardrada

44 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

Lost me at the photo of the label which shews the provenance. :nono:

Thanks for posting that, though. So many manufacturers and even reviewers nowadays gloss over or go to extents to hide where things are made, which pretty much tells you where indeed.

At least Tandy is making no attempt to hide the country of origin based upon their product descriptions.

TandyPro® Tools are premium leather craft tools designed and crafted in China by experienced and professional leather crafters. These beautifully designed tools are manufactured using steel, brass, and engineered wood, and are crafted for precision, balance, ease of use, comfort, ergonomics, and long wear. Created to be used on high end leather for premium and professional leather projects.