whistler

Shoe factory stuff

A year or so back I posted on this forum some pictures of shoe last(sp). I was trying to get an offer on them. I have a great number maybe 2-3,000 (maybe more) that are available now. Another bunch available later as the previous owner of property wants to keep some. He’s the one who acquired them. They were acquired when a shoe factory closed. I know nothing about them so questions pertaining to design or styles, I will not be able to help you. I also have some other leather cutting dies type devices. Hope I can get pictures up. Thanks to all  

tried to get photos up but a single photo exceeded the mb limits. Got to figure that one out and try later. 

Yeah that MB limit is obnoxious. I email the picture to myself then save it and then post it seems to shrink the MBs for some reason.  I'm sure there are easier ways?

50 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Yeah that MB limit is obnoxious. I email the picture to myself then save it and then post it seems to shrink the MBs for some reason.  I'm sure there are easier ways?

I give that a try in a bit. 

1 hour ago, whistler said:

tried to get photos up but a single photo exceeded the mb limits. Got to figure that one out and try later. 

Read through this thread for some assistance.  The last post has a bulk resizing program you might be interested in.  

Pictures in general do not need to be larger than 1024x768 pixels to have adequate resolution.  Even 800x600 is good enough for many.  Also it is a favour to people on the edge of the internet to keep file sizes down so downloads don't take hours.  One of your prime buyers might be someone with limited bandwidth so be good to them.

My attempt at the pictures for my above post. 
I had a paper that told what these were but it has disappeared. I’ll continue looking.  They are sharp on one side. Picture #4 makes the straps as seen in picture #5 but different lengths and widths. 
I can post some various pictures of the last if someone really wants them. Thanks

A510D21F-709D-480D-A689-BAABA966B513.jpeg

84CB54C8-D1A9-404F-BB9F-2C45A13D1E6C.jpeg

4B371788-2D7D-4B5C-AC78-6DD6D2AC320E.jpeg

669816BA-B8CE-48C2-A45A-DF38F96CC22A.jpeg

D0CC14AD-83E6-4A2E-90E5-A93CFF42534A.jpeg

3 hours ago, whistler said:

A year or so back I posted on this forum some pictures of shoe last(sp). I was trying to get an offer on them. I have a great number maybe 2-3,000 (maybe more) that are available now. Another bunch available later as the previous owner of property wants to keep some. He’s the one who acquired them. They were acquired when a shoe factory closed. I know nothing about them so questions pertaining to design or styles, I will not be able to help you. I also have some other leather cutting dies type devices. Hope I can get pictures up. Thanks to all  

I am looking for several shoe lasts, but boy not that many, I do not even think it would be worth your time to look for 5 or 6 pair. Are the lasts wooden or plastic?

The buckle dies are off Single Monk Strap Loafers, the shoe print shaped dies are mid soles, soles, foot beds or a combination of all three. The cut off shoe print looking dies are for inner sole that your foot goes against. Do you happen to know the name of the factory they come out of, knowing what the factory made may aid you in the sale of the items?

Edited by ryano

The top two photos above there are 2-3 layers of them. Name of the factory, I’m sorry but at this time no. I’ll try to contact the previous owner maybe he’ll tell me. I know he said he worked for U S Shoe, Dr. Scholls, and others.  I believe he said some of his stuff came from a factory in St. Louis that was closing down.
There are a few plastic last but mostly wood. 
Feel free to ask anymore questions I’ll do my best. 
I live between Lexington, Louisville, & Cincinnati. 

Thanks Mike03120 for the picture posting hint! As you can see it worked like a charm. 

I tried a trial offer and got a little response.  Here is my opinion, the shoe industry is dead in this country, the ones who are left are quality producers with specific dies and lasts.   For example they want a specific die for a 11.5 ee not something close. The same for the last.  The custom or bespoke shoe and boot industry on the other hand will buy close (like me) and modify. For example a sole die that's too large they will trim the leather.  The dies are rusty and need to be sharpened.

There is a market for one's and two's but for this to be successful the purchase of a large lot has to be very low since most will never sell.  Cowboy last's have a better market because of more makers. But it doesn't appear you have any of those. If you take the time to catalog and cleanup, paint and sharpen you may have market.  I suspect you my have also upper dies?

Still interested!  I have a box truck going to Fla. after covid, my last trip for stuff to move to Colo.  Tx Lynn

ljk, I had to go back and review your offer. I did respond back to you but packing these up and shipping them to Colorado was not an undertaking I was wanting to do. I do Thank You for your offer and Thank You for the information you provided above. There are numbers on at least some of the “dies”. I’m not sure they will not tell us anything. My guess is the numbers meant something to the shoe factory they come from only. 
If someone is interested my guess is they would be better off looking at them.  Going through things and accessing them to make sure it’s something they can use.

I have farm equipment sitting out in the weather because these are taking up barn space. I really would like for both parties  to benefit from these items. 
Thanks

On 1/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, mike02130 said:

Here's how I do it. You've got Paint on your PC, right? If it's a Windows computer, you should have it. Okay open the photo in Paint. At the top of the Paint menu is a 'resize' option. Click on that, and choose 'Pixels', then enter a figure around 500. You only need to enter the one figure: the other figure will resize automatically to keep the picture in proportion. Close the file, save, then post! 

Been doing this for years...works great for me!