Jakeman711

Singer 111w103

I hope all of you had a good Holiday Season. I recently started sewing and found out that I needed a larger sewing machine. I am sewing Cordura and the Heavy Duty Singer 4411 I bought is coming up a bit short. I bought a Singer 111w103 and have been reading on this forum about the machine and machines like it. I have found that my machine doesn't have the clutch on the timing gear that new generations of the 111w have. I was wondering if I could put the clutched gear into my machine to protect it from damage? If it is possible is it worth it? I look forward to reading your replies.

-Jacob

That machine has been sewing for how many years without having it ? ... So (IMHO ) you just over thinking it . Just Sew with it .
It probably has no reverse lever, still it is a really good all-around machine to have in your stable. Easy to work on, and easy find and inexpensive parts also .

I've got an old Singer 132K6 a rotary hook with no safety clutch.  On mine there's a group of 3 set screws that fasten the hook to the shaft that drives it.  It seems this is 'clutch' on these simpler machines as it was badly out of time when I got it and this was the only adjustment I had to make to get it sewing again.  A modern clutch with a detent just makes the re-timing after a jam as simple as re-setting the clutch to the detent point.  I have to remove a cover over the hook area, loosen the 3 set screws, re-time and re-assemble.  It takes 5-10 minutes instead of a few seconds.

Thank you for your replies. I really to appreciate it. This machine does not have reverse, but that isn’t a big deal for me. I really do enjoy sewing with it. I put a servo motor on it with a smaller pulley. Nothing like sewing with a piece of history. Every time someone comes over and see’s the 111, they always comment on it. Hope all is well.

-Jacob