Stewey

Pearson #6 bobbins - DIY ?

Just curious - after looking online in Australia and only finding Pearson bobbins for sale ex Canada at about $35 USD each plus post and customs duty & gst,
I figured I'd measure the only one we have, and make myself some spares- two for black and two for white thread.
Has anyone else tried to make their own?
I did them in brass - turned down to 14.2 mm diameter and drilled a 1/8" hole, and silver-soldered the ends on to some 1/8" bronze shaft/rod that I had.
They're not overly classy to look at but they should be functional. I still have to drill a tiny hole for starting winding on.

Have a nice day, Folks!

pearson bobbins 0432462_n.jpg

Edited by Stewey
typo

Great work Stewey! I look forward to hearing how they hold up. I've been considering turning some myself from solid, but that looks like a far more efficient process. :lol:

I've heard that the ones from Aaron Martin may not fit original shuttles so you're probably wise to steer clear.

I think they look great! How close are they to Landis 1 bobbins? I know they get mixed up quite often here in the States.

I don't know- I simply put the calipers on the Pearson one, and wrote down the dimensions... then duplicated it.
There's a bit of slop in the shuttle, so plus or minus 1/2mm in length is no problem that I can see.
(Thanks for the compliment!)