Sign in to follow this  
KennethLee

Why did LEATHER MACHINE CO change this part?

Im a critter of knowledge and pure curiosity.......MY cobra 26 is smooth like the one below, obviously the serrated grabs the leather better for friction reasons.

are all new ones like mine like this as an improvement from the "OLDER" ones that are serrated?

screenshot_3785.jpg

screenshot_3786.jpg

Edited by KennethLee

Kenneth;

A smooth feed dog doesn't mark the bottom layer like the ones with teeth do. Normally this is not an issue. However, if both sides of a project must look as good as possible, the smooth feed dog is a bonus that saves time rubbing out tooth marks. I have a smooth feed dog on my Cowboy stitcher.

If you're wondering about a loss of grip, you are right. Because the feed dog is smooth, as are the feet, I can cheat the stitch length at will to reach marked points or corners. Teeth would make it harder to do this.

11 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Kenneth;

A smooth feed dog doesn't mark the bottom layer like the ones with teeth do. Normally this is not an issue. However, if both sides of a project must look as good as possible, the smooth feed dog is a bonus that saves time rubbing out tooth marks. I have a smooth feed dog on my Cowboy stitcher.

If you're wondering about a loss of grip, you are right. Because the feed dog is smooth, as are the feet, I can cheat the stitch length at will to reach marked points or corners. Teeth would make it harder to do this.

i kinda intuitively guessed that would be the case, then i guess its a case of CHOICE OF LESSER OF TWO EVILS........loose hold but have more control, or have HOLD, but less control.

12 hours ago, KennethLee said:

i kinda intuitively guessed that would be the case, then i guess its a case of CHOICE OF LESSER OF TWO EVILS........loose hold but have more control, or have HOLD, but less control.

Lol, exactly. I have operated a Rex dual feed walking foot machine, with really aggressive teeth. Man, that thing wouldn't budge from its stitch length setting. It almost clawed the work out of my hands. In contrast, my slew of walking foot machines, including my CB4500, all let me feather the needle hole position if I want to. This can really come in handy when you are sewing Gunfighter fishtail stitches onto a gunbelt.

20210106_161721.jpg

20210106_161621.jpg

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Lol, exactly. I have operated a Rex dual feed walking foot machine, with really aggressive teeth. Man, that thing wouldn't budge from its stitch length setting. It almost clawed the work out of my hands. In contrast, my slew of walking foot machines, including my CB4500, all let me feather the needle hole position if I want to. This can really come in handy when you are sewing Gunfighter fishtail stitches onto a gunbelt.

20210106_161721.jpg

20210106_161621.jpg

well of course thats some GOD LEVEL leather craft you made there.   Snappy and sharp

1 hour ago, KennethLee said:

well of course thats some GOD LEVEL leather craft you made there.   Snappy and sharp

You can learn to sew like this too! There are videos. I watched one earlier on the Makers Leather Supply website. He sells plastic templates for Gunfighter stitching, wallets, journals, etc. Your Model 26 can handle #207 bonded thread, which is what I used on these belts.

You really got a nice machine. I wish you much success with it. If you haven't already done so, buy all available accessories and outside left and right toe feet.