Kmoo

Belt sizing

Hi,

I’m new here, enjoying all the info available for a “ not since I was a teenager” leather maker. I am in the northwest , making tooled belts for friends and family, most on the west coast, is there an average belt size that will cover...., let’s say a 28” to a 34” , 34”-38”, etc. I know an exact measurement would be best, but a lot are for gifts, and some people are “ waist wearers , others hips. Thank y’all , and stay strong!

A google search will get you dozens of comments and threads about belt sizing.  Try this without the quotation marks.  "site:leatherworker.net belt size"

"site:leatherworker.net" is a parameter that limits the search to the site - leatherworker.net

Add what ever parameters you are searching for following.  Google has huge search engines and databases that have indexed more words and terms than the search function in LW does, and is much faster.

One of the first items that it brings up is about standardized belt lengths.  So I thought rather than rehash all the previous comments, you could start with the existing experience and knowledge here.

I'm not aware of any sizing that say "fits my nephew", but a good rule (and VERY basic) might be to make the center hole 2" bigger than the stated clothing size.  Got a 34 jeans - make the middle hole 36"

Again, I say BASIC because the type of material in the clothing matters.  Thickness of the leather you're using matters.  Patty Loveless matters.  Oh, wait.. strike that .. I was thinkin' bout sumthin else :blush:

If you want the belts to fit RUIN the surprise.  Send them a strap of leather the thickness of the belt leather you're using.  Have them run it through the loops, mark across the top with a pen or pencil.  Lay it out and measure between teh lines, and your belt WILL be the right size.  All of that may not be necessary for a quick, solid color belt, but if Im taking the time to tool it, I'm taking the time to fit it (note if you gain weight after the belt is made, that's on you).

Well . . . gifts are great . . . what you might do is send them a very pretty envelope . . . inside is a well designed and ornate "gift certificate" for a belt from your shop.

Then either send them this picture . . . or at least these directions . . . so far I have never . . . NEVER . . . struck out using this system.  The belt just plain fits.

They use THEIR belt that they use . . . regardless of any other factors.  You might also send in the gift certificate . . . some sample designs . . . so they can be a part of the decision making process.  I know there are probably designs you COULD make that I would not wear to a cat fight . . . just depending on taste.

Involve them . . . and the gift will be received even better as there was "anticipation" built in to the gift itself.

May God bless,

Dwight

belt gauge.jpg

BELT MEASURE 2 copy.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dwight said:

a well designed and ornate "gift certificate" for a belt from your shop

This is a great idea Dwight.  I'm sure that there are many here that appreciate this idea.

Clothing manufacturers have been using "vanity sizing" for many years. Many people know their trouser waist size, but that is not an actual measurement. Example: I wear size 34 trousers, but my belts must be 37.5" from buckle engagement to tongue hole in use.

I always recommended a measurement (as shown by Dwight in his post above) and made it absolutely clear that I would not accept returns due to improper fit. Also to be noted, not all belt buckles have the same dimensions, so if a special buckle is to be used with a belt that must be taken into account when making the belt.

It is bad enough to have belts sitting around waiting for a customer with the correct waist size, but custom tooled belts may sit around forever before you find a guy of the right size whose name just happens to be TOBY, or JIM BOB, or whatever.

21 hours ago, Dwight said:

Well . . . gifts are great . . . what you might do is send them a very pretty envelope . . . inside is a well designed and ornate "gift certificate" for a belt from your shop.

Then either send them this picture . . . or at least these directions . . . so far I have never . . . NEVER . . . struck out using this system.  The belt just plain fits.

They use THEIR belt that they use . . . regardless of any other factors.  You might also send in the gift certificate . . . some sample designs . . . so they can be a part of the decision making process.  I know there are probably designs you COULD make that I would not wear to a cat fight . . . just depending on taste.

Involve them . . . and the gift will be received even better as there was "anticipation" built in to the gift itself.

May God bless,

Dwight

belt gauge.jpg

BELT MEASURE 2 copy.jpg

And don't forget the buckle turn-under if needed.

Sorry I didn’t reply in a more timely matter. I really appreciate all the info you guys posted, it should make sizing my belts a lot more accurate, I did especially like the “ send em a nice gift package! 
Thanks again

Don Gonzales is a bangin' super leather maker and artist.  Specializes in saddles but has an amazing curation of a bunch of videos and how to's for  noobs like me.    Obviously he's one of my faves. 

Here is a link to custom belt sizing:

https://dgsaddlery.com/tag/measuring-belts/

And don't forget, measure twice, cut once, and if necessary err on the side of too long. It's easier than trying to glue it back on!. You can easily add more holes.

There is a guy who hits our county fair . . . all his belts are about 50 inches long.

He measures you . . . cuts the end off the belt you chose . . . punches 5 holes in it and he's done.

They're generic belts . . . all pressed, none stamped . . .  but the would-be wranglers lap em up like candy.

May God bless,

Dwight

Whenever i get a request for belt that's going to be a gift and get i think their waist size 28'' which happened just before Christmas, My rule of thumb is i take the one waist/belt size i know to be right my own 30'' so then i deduct or add inches either way seems to work out ok cant honestly say they all hit the centre hole but as long as long as you don't hit the first two holes or last hole straight away i find they should and most likely are happy enough with what they get i mean how many of us before we got into leather work knew about the centre hole thing and how many of us were given belts that were to large only to put more holes in them our selves before we got into leather work. The other rule of thumb to my belts is the centre of the buckle turn and first hole are both 3'' from each end.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk