ABC3

Barge cement

What is a good alternative to Barge cement.  I've used Barge for the past 13-14 years with good results. In the past 5-6 months i've had to reglue, something like 60% of our leather straps. I think the texture (thickness) is fine. And it's mixed well.  It's just not setting up as I think it should.

What's a good alternative ?

what kind of leathers are you using?

ive had pretty good luck with the Renia glues...the aqualim 315 and the water based contact cement.

i think i like the aqualim 315 over their contact cement as ive had some projects come unglued while hand stitching with but maybe i didnt let it setup long enough..

they are solid water based alternatives available thru rocky mountain leather supply.

although if I'm using leather with a lot of oils in it i will use weldwood contact cement.

I gave up on Barge, too many fumes. I use a bunch of different latex based ones, they all work great!

thats funny. barge was a great glue to use in 88 they were sold off. then the company who bought them changed the formula. i'm not sure when but they quit making super speed  10 years ago or so. then was when i quit them . and started making TF  glues Toluene Free . so i went to masters all purpose . renia is another. yep thats progress. 

I had problems with my last can of Barge separating.  It no longer holds as well as it did.  Watching a video from Maker's Leather Working they had a leather glue for sale so I bought some.  It's working great.  No smell, sets up faster than Barge and holds everything together better.

Masters All Purpose it is. Now to locate some.  Thanks guyhs.