Loudcherokee

Best place for hardware

Hey guys! Man I'm getting excited about making all this stuff, but I'm running into some roadblocks. Mainly, nomenclature. Theres things I want, but I don't know what they are called, therefore I cant search! 

Is there some sort of "dictionary" for all the hardware names and stuff? Three examples, in my introductory thread I mentioned looking for a certain kind of closure and couldn't figure out the name and couldn't find any no matter what search terms I used. Turns out if was called a tuck-tite clasp! Someone was very helpful with that, along with a link. Second example, all the buttons and snaps. Apparently there are some designated as Segma, 831, 655, etc and others are Line 20 and Line 24. Im getting lost in the mix. Third example, in the pic attached, what is the small flat ring that is holding down the loose strap called? I know the buckle is a "roller buckle" but the only thing I'm finding for the ring part is "rectangular ring" and this doesn't seem to be the same thing. 

Lastly, where is a good supplier of these types of hardware? While I'm learning, im ok using the bulk stuff found on Amazon and ebay, for example 50 assorted size bronzed buckles for 10 bucks, but I know the finish will flake off on those eventually. Where is a good supplier of quality hardware like these? 

LC

20210107_161756.jpg

That flat piece that is holding down the tip is called a "keeper".  As far as hardwear there are several places:  Zack White, Weabers, Springfield, The buckle guy and many more.  just google.  Hope this helps. Good looking work, by the way.

5 hours ago, ABC3 said:

That flat piece that is holding down the tip is called a "keeper".  As far as hardwear there are several places:  Zack White, Weabers, Springfield, The buckle guy and many more.  just google.  Hope this helps. Good looking work, by the way.

Weaver's I think, not Weabers.  and even all of those will sell you the plated items.  Make sure you look for solid brass, stainless steel, etc. if you don't want plated or zinc.  Since there aren't many local sales for these types of things, many of us have learned from the school of hard knocks and have a few bits of hardware knocking around in the drawers that are not what we thought they would be when we ordered them online sight unseen.  Perils of the world, it seems.  Sometimes when you see a video of something going together, they are nice enough to list out the parts, which is helpful.  Often videos from folks like Springfield Leather and other sellers.

YinTx

welcome,

you may want to expand your references and get some leather books.  If you want to make "cases" there are some books on "cases" if you want and they have info such as nomenclature.

have fun.

Ohio travel bag is also a good source. I believe you can get a catalog from them. buckleguy also has a new catalog out, haven't seen it though. just going through one you will learn lots. I do wish however , that they would show finished projects  with some items. 

Thanks for the references! Yes I do need to get some books. I mostly rely on you-tube how to's and some of the articles on here. I will check out some of these places for sure! I did see some stuff on Springfield site that I liked. 

I cant claim credit for that pouch though. Thats a screen capture of a pouch from dieselpunk. 

LC