Sign in to follow this  
KennethM

Waxed canvas?

Hey family,I Know this isn't Leather but I am curious if anyone here has worked with waxed canvas? I have some to make hybrid totes and shaving bags.

Do you need to bind the edges? If so I have a cobra class 26,what binding attachment would you get? How does it work? What all would I need?

Thank you,just trying to learn.... google is not helping

1 hour ago, KennethM said:

Do you need to bind the edges? If so I have a cobra class 26,what binding attachment would you get? How does it work? What all would I need?

Exposed raw edges like that of the top edge on a tote should be either folded over and sewn or edged with binding / edging material to prevent fraying. All lot has to do with your design things like is the inside of the tote being lined or not lined. To do binding you have a choice of either using raw edge or double fold binders. Binders come in a lot of sizes based on what size of binding material you are planning on using, which can be either be purchased as raw edge or double folded in small lengths or larger flat coils. Small lengths can be fairly easily man handled but if you are planning on doing any amount you will need something to control the amount being spooled off and to support the coil.

I would check with Cobra and see what they recommend as the changes needed to the throat to accommodate binding attachments. If I am doing small / large runs of binding I have my own attachments that allow me to use inexpensive flatbed folders/ binders on my cylinder machine which is a class 341 clone. That way I don't have to make mechanical changes to the machine to do binding and I am able to use the folders/ binders on all my machines.

@KennethM G'Day, I have worked with canvas but not waxed. There are a few ways . As with  canvas bags , I have sewn them  from the outside ,trim the seams nice & neat,  and then turned them out  so the seams are not visible, but nice & neat from the outside.  . I have also used fell  & french seams on some upholstered  jobs. Not sure if this is of any help though.

HS