Sign in to follow this  
Traydaloor

anyone seen or used these "make it yourself" type DVD courses?

I wonder can some one can help me decide?

I want to make a saddle for my self and as I live on an Island in the middle of the Irish Sea I cannot like you lucky people attend a course to show me how (I would love to do that) So I have decided to buy a DVD groans all around I expect, I am undecided between getting the Dusty Johnson, Saddle making or Bill Gomer's? Has anyone seen or used these "make it yourself" type DVD courses?

thanks in advance

Hey Traydaloor!

I have most of the tapes and DVD's available, and for my money, Jeremiah Watt's saddle making DVD is the best for someone who knows nothing about the process. You can go to ranch2arena which is his website, and on the top right corner of the home page is a search bar. When you click on it, a list drops down and you will find the instructional DVD's there. Hope this helps.

Mike

I would have to heartily agree. Having looked at many of the DVD's out there I would say that Jeremiah does the most thorough job of showing and explaining the entire process.....a great investment.

Hey Traydaloor!

I have most of the tapes and DVD's available, and for my money, Jeremiah Watt's saddle making DVD is the best for someone who knows nothing about the process. You can go to ranch2arena which is his website, and on the top right corner of the home page is a search bar. When you click on it, a list drops down and you will find the instructional DVD's there. Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike

Sounds like a vary good DVD, however, at £200 sterling plus shipping it is a bit more than I wanted to spend, sorry. Thats why I was looking at the other two makers DVD's

Between the two you are thinking of, I would strongly recommend Bill Gomer's. I have both, and there is good in both of them, but I think you will find the Gomer one will give you the best information.

I agree! For the money, for the two you named, Gomer's is much better.

Mike

Traydaloor,

If you go into the Saddles and Tack, Saddle Trade Resources section there is a pretty extensive discussion on the Saddlemaking Videos/DVDs thread. It gives some of the content and some of the positives and negatives of a number of different videos. Maybe reading through that will give you more information, or more choices.

There are plans available in the Stolhman books, so I would still lean toward Bill Gomer's videos.

Mike

You might try Hide Crafter - they had the tapes/dvds in their last catalog. 888-263-5277

I have decided to get the Bill Gomers guide but who has it for sale? Ive done a web search and can't find it any where.

Do you guys know where I can buy it?

I got my tapes from Weaver. If that doesn't work for you, you might try contacting Bill Gomer personally. I'm not very comfortable putting personal information on the web, but if you'll PM me I'll give you contact information for Bill.

I can get you Bills phone number. He lives about an hour away from me. if you can not get ahold of him sometime when I go visit I could try to get you some tapes.

Ashley

Weaver Leather is actually a wholesale outfit. Their web site is http://www.weaverleather.com/ but they do not have an online catalog. If you don't have a dealer close to you who would order for you, then I would definitely suggest calling Bill directly. He is a very nice fellow and I'm sure he could help you. As Ashley stated earlier, she can get you his phone number, and I can as well. Just PM either one of us (so we don't put a personal phone number on the "net") and we'll get you fixed up!

This was my first post, indeed the first time I ever signed up to a site like this and I must say I am amazed at how kind and helpfull you all are.

thank you very, very much

Greg,

Thank you for letting Waddy know that I am a guy. Should have changed my name as a kid, I have gotten that kinda thing my whold life. Are you still going to the Finals? I am sure Ill be by to chat.

Ashley