EstherB

Singer class 172

Hello Leatherworkers! 

Thank you so much for letting me join! 

As for my very first post:

I found a singer 172K1 with original motor and table in an antique dealers shop. I am rather intimidated and intrigued by it, was thinking hard weather buying it or not, and finally today I took it home. 

It's an unusual looking machine, and I was trying to find info about it online before buying, sadly not much besides a pdf list of parts, some advertisement from the 50s, and some limited info on ismacs.net... 

I've seen that a few of your members has or had this machine and I would appreciate some pictures please of threading it or if anyone could walk me trough how the thread holding area is being put together? Or a manual by any chance?

It's from 1951, and for an industrial, it's in really great shape. 

I know the part with the screw is going under the machine, and the other part with the spring and rod supposed to go to the other end with a spool between them, I'm probably missing a clamp or something to keep them together... 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Esther

Never mind! 

I figured out that I am missing screw No 268 that meant to tighten the spool holder pin... 

What a shame :(

20 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes, I did asked questions there before reading the rules... Sincere apologies. 

It was an older thread, so started a new one. 

It seems that the only part that's missing is screw 268. I found a picture of it in the list of the parts, also on Smithsonian website a book of screws and nuts, but no measurements.

I have some spare screws and one will fit in the hole in question, but it's much too short...

I also tried to measure it, (tried with my caliper, but it's metric so it is showing 4.42mm for it's circumference). I believe Singer used to make it's own screws, they are harder to find now. (My Dad is a mechanical engineer, he told me the threading is most likely in a different angle too then metric screws) 

I also find a great source in another thread here about Singer screws (this forum is amazing ). A file was added (I can't open it for some reason, perhaps it's been removed?) about Keystone having a catalogue of Singer screw measurements... 

I'll email them and see weather they can help. Also got in touch with Helen Howes in the UK, she has sewing machine parts and was able to help me out before... 

The machine cleaned up beautifully, and it's turning pretty smoothly. It is one of 200 made in 1951. I am sure it's sewing a beautiful stitch. I can't give up on it just yet... 

Thank you again for your help! 

Eszter

3 hours ago, EstherB said:

It seems that the only part that's missing is screw 268. I found a picture of it in the list of the parts, also on Smithsonian website a book of screws and nuts, but no measurements.

I have some spare screws and one will fit in the hole in question, but it's much too short...

I also tried to measure it, (tried with my caliper, but it's metric so it is showing 4.42mm for it's circumference). I believe Singer used to make it's own screws, they are harder to find now. (My Dad is a mechanical engineer, he told me the threading is most likely in a different angle too then metric screws

If ? .. in the end, you cant find a replacement screw with compatible Singer Co. thread pitch and proper length . You could just 'slightly' over-bore the original inside Diam. of the hole . and then just ( hand Tap with T-handle ) . Tap/cut the thread pitch to more common and easy to find thread size . Hand Tap is very easy to do, if the hole is easy accessible, or just remove the part and put in a vice to hold and drill and Tap .
If the hole is a real small Diam. Just take it slow and easy, use plenty of fluid and keep cleaning Tap and chips out, so to not snap a tiny Tap off in the hole.

Could you take some pictures of the parts and post them?

needle bar thread guide #parts 106059
Please take a picture of this part and post it. from different directions.
I don't have this part.

The Singer screws I have measured have all been standard [SAE] fine thread, which are hard to find, but can be turned on most modern lathes.

Is the stitch length easily adjustable?
What I have is that if you set it to 10, it automatically moves to 12 after a while. It seems that the stitch lock is not working properly.
What kind of sewing machine do you have?
Is there a solution?

Could you please tell me the diameter and length of the handle screw on the stitch adjustment handle?

regulating handle thumb screw #ss714

스크린샷 2023-09-26 124326.png

Edited by ddiuni

Esther B, are you good at controlling your touch?
If you tighten it with the thumb screw, does it stay locked?
After tightening it with a thumb screw, I just rotate the pulley and it turns.

If the stitch spacing of the Regulating Handle is set to 5 or 6, the touch control button will be fixed without moving.
however
Symptoms include:
From stitch number 8 to 25, it just quickly returns to the 25th stitch as if the elasticity decreases. (When the spring is pulled, it returns to the 25th position with some elasticity, like returning to the original length.)

So, it is controlled with the thumb screw of the regulating handle.
When I set the stitch to position 12 and turn it with a thumb screw to secure it, it doesn't seem to be fully fixed. So, when I rotate the sewing machine's pulley, the Regulating Handle is not fixed and the problem occurs that the stitch interval moves toward the longer side.

So I loosened the thumb screw,
I confirmed that the inner diameter of the circular ring inserted into the thumb screw was large and moved back and forth.
So it seemed like it couldn't be fixed accurately.
So, I replaced the circular ring with a coin-sized circular ring and fixed it.
When fixing it, I turned it with a screwdriver and tightened it tightly.
(Originally, the thumb screw of the 172k sewing machine did not have a straight slot for the driver. However, a slot has been created.
Perhaps the Regulating Handle was not fixed well at some point and the existing user created a straight groove. )

In short
Problem 1. Regulating Handle #106046 Parts cannot be adjusted.
-> Existing user solution: Make a straight groove in the handle and fix it.

Problems occur even after doing the above
Problem 2. A problem occurs where the inner diameter of the circular ring inserted into the groove of the screw (#ss714 part thumb screw) of the regulating handle does not match the thread groove of the thumb screw.
- So, when turning the Regulating Handle, a problem occurs where the circular ring inserted into the thumb screw is not centered and is shifted to one side -> As a result, a problem occurs where the Regulating Handle cannot be fixed.

-> Problem 2 solution: Change the circular ring to the size of a coin.
    -> Result after changing the circular loop: First, it is properly fixed and sewn at the desired stitch interval.

# There may be cases where it doesn't work again in the future, but we will wait and see.

Same thing, what about the 172k1 you have? Is it well controlled?
I'd like to hear your opinion.

On 2023. 9. 8. at 오후 7시 41분, Gump said:

제가 측정한 싱어 나사는 모두 표준 [SAE] 미세 나사산으로, 찾기 어렵지만 대부분의 최신 선반에서 사용할 수 있습니다.

thank you
I bought it from AliExpress, cut the edges, reduced the inner diameter, and installed it. Also, the groove was not in the right position, so I used a drill to widen the groove a little and installed the needle set screw.
I'm glad I was able to solve this problem without any parts.

Hi! Apologies, I wasn't logged in for ages...

I don't have the machine anymore, shortly after I opened this link, a member of this forum got in touch and bought the machine from me...

Sorry about that.

I never used the machine, I bought it from an antique shop because I found it interesting and needed the table for another machine...