rktaylor

Mule Saddle Breeching

I'm making a breeching for a mule saddle and wondered if anyone had a pattern to share. I have a concept and an old harness to look at, but any information would help. Thanks, 

Randy

I ended up making my pattern. I need to consolidate my notes so the next one will be easier.  

Randy

20210221_113231.jpg

20210221_113210.jpg

Randy,

I just saw your post.  The spider up on the rump would work better turned with the dees going across not parallel.  I am looking for some photos to posts that will give you some extra ideas.

Ron

Randy,

Attached are 2 pages from my "pack saddle instructions".  I hope they give you some ideas.  My model for these was from a retired outfitter and guide who ran a pack string in the Sierra Nevada range, and built his own equipment.

Page 4.jpg

Thank YOU!!

God bless,

Mike

Ron,

Thanks for the tips. I considered both orientations and settled on lengthwise, but am not sure why. I'll think of something to blame it on. :) I really appreciate your notes. I haven't typed anything yet, but I made a lot of measurements yesterday and will definitely document this project. I plan to deliver and adjust this later in the week, so we'll see how it fits. I am concerned that the straps may be too long. If so, I may just build another spider with new straps. It's all trial and error at my shop. :)

Randy

Randy,

Too long can be shortened: too short means "damn, cut another strap".  An experience packer friend of mine prefers conways on the britchin' strap instead of roller buckles; so this is an area left to a person's choice.  I have also seen spiders with just one big ring and no leather between it and the pack animal.  Hope all is well, and that it is warming up in OK.

Ron

Looks pretty good, I agree though that the hip pad needs to be oriented 90 degrees. And the actual breeching strap that goes behind the legs really needs to have a good bevel because with that hard corner its going to shave the hair on the animal in about a day. And I personally would punch a few more holes to allow it to fit an even smaller animal, better too much adjustment than not enough. other than that, it looks good!

And just for reference Im not a hobbiest packer, Ive packed for commercial outfits in Montana, California, and Colorado

Ron,

Thanks for the tips. Thankfully it is warming up. I am not built for weather like we experienced.

toswood,

The breeching strap has a good, round edge and I think it's more flexible than the photo shows. However, I will tell the customer to watch it closely. This is a for a riding mule that likely won't see a lot of action, but it's worth noting. Thanks for the advice. I'll share some pictures with the mule saddled if I get a chance.

Randy