Hardrada

Wallet Woes

Well, still trying to kinda replicate this wallet:

Ser_wallet--1.jpg.163c2aaee494a2f4fdc2585b6a14c91a.jpg

I've cut the pieces for the card pockets on the first (left side) panel out of 2 oz (0.90 mm) Walpier Dollaro , but I've already run into the Hamburger Wall:

Sarg_wallet--1.jpg.c420ea0a2c224ee6be17e9843e631477.jpg

Sarg_wallet--2.jpg.7a41c5248b74255460b19eb02ddddaa8.jpg

Mind you, there're still ~5 more layers to go below that, and there're FOUR card pocket panels. I'd end with a brick at this rate, and that'd be for an empty wallet. :blink:

Is there a better way to do this? :thinking:

The "model" wallet 'cheats' in the sense that it doesn't use full leather pieces for the pockets: just a leather top sewn to a bottom part of thin fabric, but I don't wanna use fabric.

The panel to the left is Alran chevre, 1 oz (~0.35 mm). I'm thinking of using that, but I dunno if it's too thin to endure constant use/wear.

Any useful suggestions are greatly appreciated, fellas.

1 oz Kangaroo may help.  But I think if you are trying to replicate it, you're going to have to replicate it.  As in use the fabric.  Otherwise it just won't look or feel the same.  Just my .02.

YinTx

I have used bonded polyester fabric on the insides of some wallets to get the thickness down.  The stuff I have has a simulated grain on one side and fabric surface on the other.  It won't last as long as leather for every day back pocket use.  Just noticed the very small card wallet is starting to flack apart in the interior fold, so will have to take a look at exactly what is happening to it.  Where it is flat and doesn't flex, it is nearly like new and still looks good - around 10 years old.  So maybe it is fine for none flex applications where you have to reduce the thickness due to the number of layers.

The stuff came from Tandy and hasn't been stocked for several years.

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

1 oz Kangaroo may help.  

Τhat's what I made my personal wallet from, I love the stuff.  And you can get it embossed with pretty much anything you want (at least in Australia you can)

gf.jpg

Definitely fabricated material.  I've always abhorred those "t-pocket" things, and  your issue is part of why that is.

This one was for a long wallet - some might call a "roper". 

Tooling leather 3/4 oz backing, lined with ... the secret liner stuff ... then this assembly - with 6 cards and an ID slot.  Other side had two long cash pockets and one more card slot across from the ID.  Whole thing still less than 1/2" thick.