Peppie

Which do you prefer?

Looking for info for storing leather sides.

Do you store it rolled? Or do you drape it over a semi large tube?

Which is better?

I have 15 or so sides to store. I have them rolled in the boxes they were delivered in. I sometimes find it difficult to see what I have to choose from.

Thoughts or guidance please. TY

I think it will come down to how much space you have, in an ideal world I would like to store flat in stacks on a large table, currently they are rolled on top of a bookshelf 

Currently almost all my heavy leather is rolled and stored in plastic 'Christmas tree boxes' stacked in my back hallways. Thin soft leather is folded and stored in plastic or card boxes, stacked where there is somewhere to stack them

All of my leathers, except for deer and elk, are rolled, finished side in, and stored on shelves under my bench, out of sunlight.

Deer and elk are folded finish side in and stored in boxes on shelves OVER my bench. For the record, an Alaska Amber half rack will hold 2 elk or 4-6 deer. I have more elk coming, I guess I need to drink more beer. :thumbsup:

Edited by tsunkasapa

I keep my leather in the boxes that it was shipped in and standing up tall.  My light weight leather for wallets I have folded up on one of my benches.  

Mine is rolled up and under my bench as well. It'll hold about 6 or 8 whole sides depending on weight.

If you want to go tubes

Go to a carpet shop and ask for their card tube inners. They have to dump them so they may give them to you for the taking away

The tubes are often about 4 to 6 inches inside diameter and 12 to 14 feet long, so take a saw with you . You can cut them down to suit  whatever length you want them to be.

Before I switched to the plastic boxes thats what I used. I got a load of long tubes and spent ages in the carpet shop carpark cutting the tubes down just to fit in my car. The deal on the day was, take them all or none. I took about half the load to the recycling, half of what was left to a friend for packaging and I still had more than enough for my needs

easy ways to know whats in the tube

1. make the tube shorter than the roll, or don't push it all the way in

2. write on the tube whats in it. and up-date that note every time you use some of that leather

10 minutes ago, fredk said:

If you want to go tubes

Go to a carpet shop and ask for their card tube inners. They have to dump them so they may give them to you for the taking away

The tubes are often about 4 to 6 inches inside diameter and 12 to 14 feet long, so take a saw with you . You can cut them down to suit  whatever length you want them to be.

Before I switched to the plastic boxes thats what I used. I got a load of long tubes and spent ages in the carpet shop carpark cutting the tubes down just to fit in my car. The deal on the day was, take them all or none. I took about half the load to the recycling, half of what was left to a friend for packaging and I still had more than enough for my needs

easy ways to know whats in the tube

1. make the tube shorter than the roll, or don't push it all the way in

2. write on the tube whats in it. and up-date that note every time you use some of that leather

Great Idea. TY. That will be much easier on my wallet.

When space is a prime, I roll mine, as in d/butts & shoulders  . I do like the cardboard tube idea  :) That'll be good for thin hides like roo , goat etc. 

HS