Tim Schroeder

Stitching Pony

I've been working on tools the last week. I am getting ready to make my son in law a buck stitch belt so I needed a stitching pony. This one bolts to my last stand so it's really solid. The base to the stand is a fly wheel with the gear ring removed. The handle can be positioned straight up depending on the thickness of the material you are sewing.  It's direct drive too so getting the correct pressure is easy. One turn moves the jaw 3/16".

I just added the toe rest to the stand this week. The wood peg rasp is easy to use now that I lowered it a bit. The boot top stretcher in back ground sits on top of the stand as  well.

Just curios if anybody has any opinions on the best way to line or pad the jaws.

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2005 (1).JPG

Edited by Tim Schroeder

I padded mine with some 8oz veg tan leather glued on to the jaws.

My pony is a bit shorter, with the base board a little wider. I can either, using my shop stool, sit with my legs on the baseboard, pinning it to the stool seat, or, clamp it to the bench.

I really like the adjustment device on yours. Mine is just a bolt with a wing nut. Kinda hard to tighten up. I may have to modify mine.

Thanks for posting. 

EJ

Edited by MM2CVS9
add to

The usual padding for the jaws of a saddler's clam, or a stitching pony, or a similar device is leather, glued on; no need to be too exact about it, anything you have that will do the job. Perhaps if you watch YouTube videos you'll get an idea of the sort of stuff that's used

Cool build.  I'm interested in your clamping gizmo.  Can you explain and show how it is done?  Thanks.

I was trying to make something thread couldn't get hung on. The small nut has the the big long nut locked on to the bolt so when you turn the handle it turns the bolt. There is a T nut in that block of wood so turning the bolt moves the T nut which moves the hinged side. You can tighten the long nut up against the stationary side until it moves freely but has no slack then tighten the jamb nut and it locks the long one onto the bolt. Half a turn and you can adjust the item you are sewing. You can always slide the handle off the nuts and reposition the handle depending on the thickness of what you are sewing so it's pointed slightly towards you. Half a turn away from you loosens it enough to reposition.