CraigH

Self Healing Cutting Mat

I am a 74 year old learning self taught leather work seeking advise what self healing mat to purchase to be used with hard blade cutting . I am searching for one with the lines that is used to help cut straight cuts when aliening the leather parts. Your advice will help saving wasted dollars.

Thank You...CraigH

The ones I have experience with are Fiskars and Olfa brands.  They both work very well.  Keep in mind that you can purchase them in a number of sizes, so decide how big you'd like to go.  Some here have huge mats, covering a large working surface.  I think the biggest I've used is 24" x 36" or thereabouts.  Size preference might hinge on what sort of projects you do.  If you focus on small stuff, then a smaller mat might be sufficient for your purposes.

A silicone cutting board - is that different from a self-healing cutting mat? I'm thinking that's a standard cutting board, like you use for cutting veggies, right?

Which mat is kinder to cutting blades and hole punches?

36 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

A silicone cutting board - is that different from a self-healing cutting mat? I'm thinking that's a standard cutting board, like you use for cutting veggies, right?

Which mat is kinder to cutting blades and hole punches?

I've trird looking for the one I bought. It was a hard HDPE board. It's hard and rigid. Was suggested by Fred and works a treat. I walk around my small clicker dies and there's no danger of going through it. The surface is soft enough to not damage knives/punches etc, The silicone ones are soft and fine for cutting and punching where you're not going too heavy but edges will cut into it necessitating renewal after a while. Look for a HDPE chopping board around 12mm thick.

3 hours ago, CraigH said:

I am a 74 year old learning self taught leather work seeking advise what self healing mat to purchase to be used with hard blade cutting . I am searching for one with the lines that is used to help cut straight cuts when aliening the leather parts. Your advice will help saving wasted dollars.

I've not come across a self-healing cutting mat without the grid lines

But do shop around. You'll pay for the 'name' on the mat, eg I can buy an Olfa 'named' mat for about £25 or a 'no name' one from my resins suppliers for £7. Yes, they do have slightly different construction but in the end they work just the same

As said above, buy to suit what you make, not too big nor too small. I have ones 3 inches square for trimming corners on and up to A0 size, approx 33 x 47 inches, but my most used size is 45 x 60cm approx 17 x 24 inches. If you are making just small things you can get an A4 size, approx 8 x 11 inches for as little as a couple of $$

I got my self healing cutting mat from Amazon.  It's 24 X 36.  They also have 12 inch mats on up.

4 hours ago, CraigH said:

Thank You...CraigH

Check out Amazon.com, lots to choose from, you can see different layouts and sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=self+healing+mat&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

2 hours ago, toxo said:

I've trird looking for the one I bought. It was a hard HDPE board. It's hard and rigid. Was suggested by Fred and works a treat. I walk around my small clicker dies and there's no danger of going through it. The surface is soft enough to not damage knives/punches etc, The silicone ones are soft and fine for cutting and punching where you're not going too heavy but edges will cut into it necessitating renewal after a while. Look for a HDPE chopping board around 12mm thick.

Thanks, Toxo. I actually have a cutting board I use, but I'm not exactly sure what it's made of, as I either retired it from my kitchen, or found it when I moved into a new house. I forget which! It's your standard white kitchen cutting board. I assume it's likely HDPE. 

54 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Thanks, Toxo. I actually have a cutting board I use, but I'm not exactly sure what it's made of, as I either retired it from my kitchen, or found it when I moved into a new house. I forget which! It's your standard white kitchen cutting board. I assume it's likely HDPE. 

I use one of those kitchen types for hole punching for stitching but like I said, after a while you're looking for fresh spots. I did buy a couple of harder ones but they were really hard like plastic. The one I got for the arbor press has a similar feel on top to the kitchen type but is denser and rigid. I think HDPE is high density polyethylene but must come in different formulae because milk crtons are made of HDPE as is a lot of other stuff.

I don't really like the self healing mats unless I'm using a rotary cutter. Then they're great.  Otherwise I find my knife blades tend to hang up in them.

Regards,

Arturo