Rylando

Backside of the stitch hole being blown out

I am using a Highlead GC0618-1sc, and when sewing a clutch up that's gator embossed cowhide, I noticed some big holes punched on the bottom side of my leather. It really looks ugly to me. How can I fix this?  From looking it up on this forum, it seems to be a needle issue? I tried to find Schmetz S type needles but they appear to not exist anymore, or I am looking in the wrong place. Any help is appreciated :)

Attached are photos of the holes and the needles I am using.

custom_resized_ecfb157f-9e22-4643-8599-6e40df2f4e7f.jpg

custom_resized_04a9d96c-b871-4907-94e1-30e5fb0544db.jpg

You made the mistake of buying round point cloth needles. You need some configuration of leather point to sew leather.

FYI: System 135x17 are for cloth, webbing, Velcro and vinyl. System 135x16 are leather points. They come in various shapes, like chisel, diamond, triangle, right twist, left twist and S.

Are you using round-point, textile needle on leather?

Look for L for "leather point". There are left and right diamond tips, whichever suits your sewing style. Mostly LR are used, for "right slant".

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You made the mistake of buying round point cloth needles. You need some configuration of leather point to sew leather.

FYI: System 135x17 are for cloth, webbing, Velcro and vinyl. System 135x16 are leather points. They come in various shapes, like chisel, diamond, triangle, right twist, left twist and S.

Ah hah! I'm just a major dork then. I thought for whatever reason that 135x17 was the size of needle my machine took. I would've sworn these were marketed as leather needles when I bought them, but apparently not! Just as I thought I had this whole leather sewing thing down... lol. 

Just got home from the local sewing supply shop and they explained it to me, and hooked me up with some diamond and triangle needles, as those were all they had for leather. With diamonds the blow out is waaaay less!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

34 minutes ago, dikman said:

Just curious, what size thread are you using?

#138  with the size 23 needles

3 hours ago, Rylando said:

I thought for whatever reason that 135x17 was the size of needle my machine took

This is the correct system and size. Just the point is wrong. You need the LR point that slices through leather, in the same size and system, but the round textile point that you currently have rips it apart. You could get away with it on soft, upholstery leather but you are SOL with the leather that you have. Keep the needles and buy a few packs of LR.

The LR point will make a zig-zag look to your stitch(which some people like),if you want it to be straight get the S point.