ewayne53

Airbrushing Leather

I would like to start airbrushing the edges of my leather projects. What airbrush model would you recommend and what mm nozzle should I have. I have an air compressor so all I need is the gun and accessories. 

Thanks and God bless

Take a look at the Badger 105 airbrush, it is what I use for my projects and unless you are doing large quantities/large products, it should work fine for doing edge work right out of the box. You'll likely have to buy a small adapter to fit your compressor hose to the brush, but those are in the 2 dollar range typically. It's not the cheapest, and its not the most expensive, its about in the middle and it has proven to be durable over time.

I have a pancake type compressor. Is that too big for an airbrush system? What’s the air pressure needed for an airbrushing system?

4 minutes ago, ewayne53 said:

I have a pancake type compressor. Is that too big for an airbrush system? What’s the air pressure needed for an airbrushing system?

Generally speaking, all that is needed is around 25psi for most things

You ought to have a water separator on your compressor.

I have a Badger 150 siphon/bottom feed that came in a "kit" labelled "Professional 150-7" that included a color cup, a couple of bottles, three needle/nozzle assemblies, (fine - .22millimeter, medium .50 millimeter, and large .75 millimeter) and a hose, I'm using it with a Badger "Breeze" air pump which, according to the specs on the box, provides 10.0L/Min with a pressure of 2-15 psi. As ScottWolf points out, it's a nice, middle of the road price point for a good product. I think the kit cost me about $118 and the pump was $85. I haven't felt the need to buy anything else to supplement this set up.

My specific reason for buying this was to apply finish coats of Resolene 1:1 on antiqued leather without smearing the antique. It works well for this and, of course, applying finish on other types of leather as well.

I don't use it for dye base coats because I like more penetration but I have tried a few airbrush "effects" over the base dye using Fiebing's Professoinal dye and they turned out as expected. I'd like to get some Golden airbrush acrylic and work out a nice application system for putting that on leather.

Hope you get what you need.

Regards,

Arturo