Jason046

Sanding leather edges

I was wondering if yall sand yalls edges before burnishing. I started sanding with a 220 grut and get them smooth and then burnish. Always liked the way they turned out but was wondering if it was just an unnecessary step as I have been getting behind on orders.

I do the same, sand in one direction only.

I usually use 220 then 400 grit, followed by water then a glycerine soap rub and a brisk canvas rub.  I got the soap and canvas from a Don Gonzales utube video on edge slicking.  This has worked the best for me and I have tried, saddle soap then a motorized burnisher(Dremel and grinder motor based), saddle soap and cloth but nothing works as well as the glycerine soap and canvas for me.

Todd

No. I glass them instead with a skiving knife: no mushrooming this way.

Edited by Hardrada

41 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

I usually use 220 then 400 grit, followed by water then a glycerine soap rub and a brisk canvas rub.  I got the soap and canvas from a Don Gonzales utube video on edge slicking.  This has worked the best for me and I have tried, saddle soap then a motorized burnisher(Dremel and grinder motor based), saddle soap and cloth but nothing works as well as the glycerine soap and canvas for me.

Todd

I have tried that way and liked it but now I use a nfo and beeswax mix with electric burnishing wheel

38 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

No. I glass them instead with a skiving knife: no mushrooming this way.

Thats interesting.  Is their a video that shows this process?

For cases, I have a bench sander. I sand the edges until they're even all around the case, bevel the edges, apply some dye, and then burnish while the dye is still a bit damp ( using the  wood handle of my beveller) , and finish off with bit of boot polish, comes up sweet  :) 

For belts, I just bevel & burnish using the same wood handle, still comes up sweet  :) 

HS

Burnishing Pics Nov 2020 001.jpg

50 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

For cases, I have a bench sander. I sand the edges until they're even all around the case, bevel the edges, apply some dye, and then burnish while the dye is still a bit damp ( using the  wood handle of my beveller) , and finish off with bit of boot polish, comes up sweet  :) 

For belts, I just bevel & burnish using the same wood handle, still comes up sweet  :) 

HS

Burnishing Pics Nov 2020 001.jpg

Nice! Looks good, I might give that a try

4 hours ago, Jason046 said:

Thats interesting.  Is their a video that shows this process?

It's also described in Al Stohlman's book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather (p.63) but he uses a piece of broken glass to even the edges out (hence the term 'glassing').