Sign in to follow this  
blackmad

Help with a small zippered pouch

Hey all -

I'm trying to sew a small bag out of relatively thick leather (~2mm - though reasonably soft/pliable) and having some issues. The biggest problem is that I'd like to have a zipper across the top, but the bag is so small and the leather so thick that when I tried to invert the bag after sewing the seams inside out, it put so much pressure on the zipper that the slider snapped off. Are there any tricks I could be doing to make this work in the current design? (I know that I shouldn't have run the zipper all the way to the edge of the bag - even without that I think it still would have snapped, also I added the inner rivets after inverting)

The other is that I'm not happy with the consistency & look of the stitches I'm getting from my juki 553. Is this likely too much tension? not enough tension? something else entirely?

Thanks for looking,

-David

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

ok, I'll go out on a limb. on the sewing mach? I can't help you, I always handstitch. on the zipper it looks like to me that the ends should be facing out not in. if out that will give your bag a more fluid shape and I think put your zipper tracks closer together. not sure how you are going to get the zipper over the two ends though. I think that is why they usually put the zipper between the two ends.  that's just my odd way of looking at this, haven't played that much with zippers yet. maybe someone with a little more zipper experience can tell you better. luck

i

Hello thanks for sharking your work !!

Unfortunately i don't see how you could make this work the way the zipper is currently sewn into the bag.

i think you might have had an easier time if you had skived the edges of the leather down to reduce the bulk in the corners/turned edge

but you would still be dealing with tension on the zipper ends because of the way you integrated it.

you could possible add a lid so to speak with a zipper and 2 strips of leather that span the length of the opening if that makes sense.

As far as the slider's concerned, it gives a door. Zips don't have to be made up, but are available in parts, the teeth cut from a continuous roll, single-sided end and bridge stoppers, and  the slider. Everything's measured from the width of the zipper teeth when engaged, zipped together, but if you want a locking zipper, it pretty much reduces your choice to #5. The teeth are from 2 technologies, toothed and continuous coil, usually called chain: locks need the tooth format, generally. Chain's also weaker.