sandmanred

Pfaff presser foot adjuster

I recently got a Pfaff 545-H4-6/01 CLPMN.  I found a decent copy of the manual on manualslib.  I'm trying to understand the adjustment of the presser foot pressure.  I can see the large coil spring around the presser foot bar but when I adjust the thumbwheel on top it doesn't change the length of that spring.  There a plunger under the thumbscrew that compresses a much smaller softer spring inside the bar that hardly seems like much of an adjustment in pressure.  What am I missing?

IMG-4971.jpg

On 1/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, sandmanred said:

I recently got a Pfaff 545-H4-6/01 CLPMN.  I found a decent copy of the manual on manualslib.  I'm trying to understand the adjustment of the presser foot pressure.  I can see the large coil spring around the presser foot bar but when I adjust the thumbwheel on top it doesn't change the length of that spring.  There a plunger under the thumbscrew that compresses a much smaller softer spring inside the bar that hardly seems like much of an adjustment in pressure.  What am I missing?

IMG-4971.jpg

@uwe

Here's another one for you

My Pfaff 545 has the same presser foot adjustment spring design. What you described is all there is to it, I'm afraid. Pfaff designed the machine to have a "reasonable" foot pressure, you get a tiny adjustment range around that starting point.

Pfaff engineer with fake German accent: "Vee vill set zee spring pressure for you and you vill like it!"

Other versions of this machine have one or two spring blades across the top, offering a wider adjustment range.

My recommendation is to just live with it and enjoy this fine machine as it is. Chances are it will hold most materials just fine. Presser foot design and footprint may have a bigger impact on marking leather than spring pressure.

If you find yourself losing sleep over the limited adjustment range, shop for a version with the spring blades.

@sandmanred: By the way, you have to select a user from the drop-down menu  (it will look like this: @Uwe ) to make notifications work. A simple @uwe does not work.

Edited by Uwe

@UweThanks again for help with the machine and the forum.  

I think I can work with the range of pressure it provides.  It looks like it if really bugs me I could loosen the set screw and shift the collar up a bit to relieve some pressure.  I noticed that the feet were restricting  the work from turning on tight turns but I've since softened the edges of the inside foot with a little abrasive and learned to pivot the work only when the inside foot is down on tight turns.

I decided the pressure was too high for what I need so I lifted the collar that retains the spring about 1/4 inch.  The spring still has some pressure on the feet with nothing under them and reduces the pressure.  I'll run with it that for a while and see how it goes.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:46 PM, Uwe said:

"Vee vill set zee spring pressure for you and you vill like it!"

That made me chuckle out loud.  :-)

I have a pfaff 545 h3 . Behind the spring tension assembley there is a rod that sits against the back I think it is suppose to release the spring tension when the rod is up. Mine does not work .Does this have something to do with  the height of the rod? How do I fix? Just raise the rod?  What do I need to do to raise the rod? Thanks Very much.