Hi all, 

Here is a fairly unusual custom piece- this is a knitting belt. This was new territory for me and I had never heard of one before, but the idea is that it allows the user to knit while standing/walking. They date back hundreds of years and I'm not sure where exactly they originate but seems to be lots of ties to Scotland, particularly Shetland and the Hebrides. 

This set was built to the client's specs and includes a belt, pad, and pouch. 

The belt in this case is essentially a regular belt and has been designed as such-  normally the pad would be integrated but having them as separate items allows more adjustment and the option of wearing the belt on its own. The tooling pattern on this is taken straight from the Book of Kells and features abstract interlocking medieval birds of some kind. A nice change from the Western things I normally do. It is 3.5mm veg tan with chicago screws to hold the buckle/keeper in place, so removable if necessary. 

The pad is stuffed with horsehair and has a series of holes for anchoring double pointed knitting needles. It has three wide belt loops on the back and is a nice tight fit on the belt, this is to create as much friction as possible to prevent it sliding around when being used. 

Finally the pouch has been sized to fit a ball of wool, and has an antler closing button and a tooled pattern taken from the same manuscript page as the belt design. It has deliberate gaps between the top of the gusset and the flap so that thread can pass through when it is closed.  

The pouch and belt are both lined and stitching is by hand for all three pieces. This is one of those jobs that in my head was simple but ended up taking far longer than anticipated to get everything worked out, so happy to see it finished. Off to it's new home tomorrow!

Alex

1.thumb.jpg.7c261050e48106aa546108fec34a7ace.jpg2.thumb.jpg.68ddb1c65fc4e9704457d53e248834ae.jpg3.thumb.jpg.570edaa173fc50164f1691989b6c59e1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.8dbac2a86a4374aaf7c47abc47c60d6f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4b4e86e36d65264a3461b24b12fe0959.jpg6.thumb.jpg.901b4c27bba8f7777cc32e491c408d0f.jpg7.thumb.jpg.7f59ea02d050fc6f1f6e9d60b8d3436d.jpg8.thumb.jpg.28ee4c7c233c37e3aec2358b1a0cc00d.jpg

Your attention to detail on this is absolutely top notch. Design, tooling, coloring, stitching, all the boxes are checked. Really nice work.

I'd never heard of one.  Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful.

Fantastic work,  and thanks so much for the point to the Book of Kells.  I've been having a creative block on a sheath I had been asked to make, this may be the key to removing that block!  Very inspirational work.

YinTx

Thanks for the compliments all

47 minutes ago, YinTx said:

thanks so much for the point to the Book of Kells.  I've been having a creative block on a sheath I had been asked to make, this may be the key to removing that block!

Cheers, if it's Celtic stuff you're after then you certainly won't be stuck for ideas! Some of the patterns are really quite mind boggling and for me at least there would be no chance of replicating them in leather, but there are some real gems in the details that look like they would translate perfectly. Here is the reference I used for the belt

Untitled.jpg.9c6a46a6b1e095a5b51cede08b81df8d.jpg

Those are really beautiful.

Most excellent tooling work

All my knitting belts so far have been plain. Inspired by this, your fine work, I may attempt some 'special' ones

15 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:

Some of the patterns are really quite mind boggling

I have been pouring over the few panels I have copies of for hours, and there are countless details and loads of symbolisms in that codex.  I'm not very good at sketching celtic patterns, but I've been working up some ideas now, so the block is at least temporarily removed!  I can only hope to do them as much justice as you have.

YinTx