Rylando

Tabletop Bell Skiver, Consew vs Highlead vs Cobra vs ?

I am looking at getting a tabletop skiver and I'm confused if there's any difference between all of these brands. All of the machines looks identical to me, but with different stickers and paint jobs. My local sewing machine shop can get a Consew DCS-S4 and the Highlead YXP-18 machines for around the same price of the Cobra NP4 (before shipping) and I'm wondering if there's any mechanical difference between these machines. I'm leaning towards the Consew as I can get it locally, but does the Cobra come with better add ons or some such? Also I saw Techsew makes another skiving machine. Confused on which to get! 

They look to me to be pretty much all the same but I would not be buying any of them myself in a hurry as none here come with an aspirator (suction device) Also I have a great preference to having the blade spinning at all times as I find I get neater results. When the feed is a slow start on these so is the blade spin and that in my past experience is not a good thing. I would recommend having a look at this Techsew model https://www.techsew.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/1164/s/techsew-sk-4-leather-skiving-machine-with-vacuum-suction-device/

or even better perhaps something like this FAV AV2  at Campbell Randall but with the vacuum working. You can see at about 20 minutes why the vacuum is worth having.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

They look to me to be pretty much all the same but I would not be buying any of them myself in a hurry as none here come with an aspirator (suction device) Also I have a great preference to having the blade spinning at all times as I find I get neater results. When the feed is a slow start on these so is the blade spin and that in my past experience is not a good thing. I would recommend having a look at this Techsew model https://www.techsew.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/1164/s/techsew-sk-4-leather-skiving-machine-with-vacuum-suction-device/

or even better perhaps something like this FAV AV2  at Campbell Randall but with the vacuum working. You can see at about 20 minutes why the vacuum is worth having.

Thanks for your advice! :) I can totally can see how beneficial the suction would be. Is it practical to try and attach a vacuum to it myself?

Leaning towards the Cobra NP-4 right now as the table is on casters and half the size of a standard sewing machine table, and floorspace is an issue in my workshop at the moment. I got prices on the Campbell Randall skivers some time ago and while they're only an hour away from me, they are too expensive for my small operation at this point. Although I'm sure it's 100% worth it and I'll spring for one eventually.

Edited by Rylando

7 hours ago, Rylando said:

Is it practical to try and attach a vacuum to it myself?

Could be done if you are very mechanically minded but unless you have plenty of time to play with, you would be better off getting what you need from the start.Keep in mind that a bell skiver well set up can be used as a splitter quite well as well and that can save you a lot of floor space in the end. I had an early Fortuna many years back that operated the same as the machines you are looking at and was very happy to be rid of it. They can be modded up to have a separate motor for the bell and a separate suction which will take up more space but I would think it better to spend my time making money and not wasting it. Campbell Randall also stock the roller feet you may want for better skiving. If you have not checked my video's on skiving I would have a look as it will show one in operation and better than most others can achieve I must add.