Really nice work, post some more

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Very nice, Gearsmithy! What model is it going to be mounted on?

Tim

Yes very nice looking indeed.

Ken

Love that two color combo........you are giving

thoes cartridges a workout.....keep us posted on more... :red_bandana:

Thanks folks!

Very nice, Gearsmithy! What model is it going to be mounted on?

Tim

Not sure, I think it's an old FLH. The strap is adjustable so it will fit pretty much anywhere.

Edited by gearsmithy

nice- i like the contrasty color combo myself. cant beat it, classic - and i love flames...mmmm

Things to watch: the orientation of your flames - where they start and stop and what part of them you see.

you did a nice job on the overlaps - and could even accentuate them a bit more - less is more with graphics - so pick a theme and carry it through

I'd put a heavy panel on the back of the bag to strengthen it, because if your customer is like my friends, and they need to carry tools - I am telling you a single weight bag aint gonna cut it over even one season of riding - it will sag and tear - guaranteed

you could even punch a few more slots in the back to make it even easier to mount if you bulk it up a bit.

I use seriously heavyweight leather when i make toolbags - they cant be too heavy if your guys gonna be riding

stuff like braiding and lacing on a bike just attracts dirt and grease (ask me how i know)

an if you wax it or treat it - its even worse - so I'd consider

alternative treatments, even tho it looks s;icker than snot - again - i make stuff for abusive riders -

if your customers dont need this kind of attention - good for you!

I'd say you did one nice job!

for a second piece - its an a**kicker!!!!

David - for bag body's i use 8-12oz veg tan or the hot stuffed black motorcycle leather from Wickett & Craig

nice- i like the contrasty color combo myself. cant beat it, classic - and i love flames...mmmm

Things to watch: the orientation of your flames - where they start and stop and what part of them you see.

you did a nice job on the overlaps - and could even accentuate them a bit more - less is more with graphics - so pick a theme and carry it through

I'd put a heavy panel on the back of the bag to strengthen it, because if your customer is like my friends, and they need to carry tools - I am telling you a single weight bag aint gonna cut it over even one season of riding - it will sag and tear - guaranteed

you could even punch a few more slots in the back to make it even easier to mount if you bulk it up a bit.

I use seriously heavyweight leather when i make toolbags - they cant be too heavy if your guys gonna be riding

stuff like braiding and lacing on a bike just attracts dirt and grease (ask me how i know)

an if you wax it or treat it - its even worse - so I'd consider

alternative treatments, even tho it looks s;icker than snot - again - i make stuff for abusive riders -

if your customers dont need this kind of attention - good for you!

I'd say you did one nice job!

for a second piece - its an a**kicker!!!!

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about putting a piece of flexible plastic between the liner and shell but I couldn't find any material that I liked. Any ideas on the paneling?

Flexible cuttingboard available at most supermarkets or the dark side (walmart) might work sandwiched between the layers.

I think that flex cutting board might be too heavy - i'd try to find some polyethylene or lightweight plastic that is flexible - they sell it in sheets and in diff gauges - you can sew through it and it works with contact cement...YMMV

I think that flex cutting board might be too heavy - i'd try to find some polyethylene or lightweight plastic that is flexible - they sell it in sheets and in diff gauges - you can sew through it and it works with contact cement...YMMV

That's what I was thinking, any idea on where I can get some sheet of it? I've been all over town looking for it and I almost considered priming some sheet metal but I figured that would be too malleable and could warp over time.

I've used a heavy duty shower curtain before, that I got from one of those recycling places. It was clear plastic and fairly heavy.

Ken

To be clear - when i use a stiffening material - i laminate it between two pieces of leather - and i use it in structural aplicaitons to give things rigidity - not strength

For the back of toolbags I dont use it at all I treat the back of toolbags like below: Simply doubled up heavy weight veg tan that is glued and sewn to the bag

I dont see how a shower curtain is going to be strong enough to do anything.....ive used Xray film in lightweight apps before..but a shower curtain?

I found an online supplier that sells sheets of high and low density polyethylene. A small gauge polyethylene sheet (1/16th of an inch or less) sandwitched between surface and lining should help to maintain rigidity and prevent the toolbag from warping (particularly if the rider stores a lot of heavy tools in their bag. I'm going to try out some different thicknesses and report back.

BTW steveb, your toolbags look classy and bulletproof! I'm going to start using higher oz leather on mine.

Edited by gearsmithy

really nice work. Love the two tone and the flames. Thanks steveb for the tips on the tool bag baks I am in the process of designing mine and all help puts me a stepin the right direction. I think it will be a few years before I get nas good as you guys. great to see your stuff!

Okay folks, I got the plastic sheets in various sizes the other day. In my opinion, the 1/16" high density sheet makes the best support structure. It's stiff enough to provide great structural integrity, flexible enough to be formed into a toolroll/saddlebag/etc, and thin enough to be sandwitched between a top layer and liner. The 1/16" low density sheets make great "permanant" templates, since it's flexible enough to be cut with an exacto knife and can be sanded smooth. It's also durable enough to "pound" in the pattern into your hide (no more tracing!). I've found that the thinner sheets (.03" +) make great "mockup" leather standins for coming up with new patterns and the thicker sheets (.125) are great cutting surfaces. And the best part is...they're dirt cheap (about $1-2 per sheet, depending on thickness). :thumbsup:

I know this is >10 years old post, but..where the hell did you get those bullet rivets? :D they look outstanding!!!!

2 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

I know this is >10 years old post, but..where the hell did you get those bullet rivets? :D they look outstanding!!!!

have a look at SLC

I've seen something like those when I was at the Tandy Store.  Haven't had the privilege of visiting SLC in person yet.