fredk

Unusual Holster

I've been watching old episodes of the TV show 'Highway Patrol'

I've noticed that in some episodes the officers use an unusual holster. It looks like a regular revolver holster, but it has the ability to hinge open, the hinge being at the trigger guard side and the opening on the barrel side. I thought it might be a special made just for one actor for this show but this type of holster appears in many scenes across the 4 years of the show and many of the officers, even the small part ones use it.

I've linked a bit of a Highway Patrol episode on youtube where the opening of the holster can be seen clearly, between 22.05 and 22.20 mainly.  btw, all the leather work on this programme has loverly basketweave tooling

Not being a holster maker I thought to put it here and get comments from those of you who do make holsters. Like, how do you think its made?, have you ever come across this type of holster before?

I've never seen one "in person"   . . .  but like you . . . have in the movies and television programs.

It's a "safety" type . . . supposedly only if you know the secret . . . 

I wouldn't make one or have one . . . too complicated in my book . . . because like Murphey says . . . "If it can go wrong . . . it will . . . and at the worst possible moment".  

I couldn't have my holster (or a customer's) failing to open at that critical time.  

May God bless,

Dwight

@fredk That's awesome. A guy in Ireland in 2021 watching 1950s American TV shows about cops. Cheers! :cheers:  I do love seeing the classic cars in those shows.
I'm not a holster guy either but I had ever seen anything like that before so searched around and found what I think you're looking for. Seems like they were referred to as Safety Speed Clamshells. 

image2-e1521148930989-768x1024.jpg

Check out the full article:  https://revolverguy.com/fighting-leather-clamshell-holster/

@maxdaddy, thanks

Clamshells were more common years ago in police work. 

Some were even less secure than the ones noted above.  Many hinged forward, like the one MaxDaddy showed above, minus the actual latch he has shown.  Horrible for retention!