Sign in to follow this  
jfhspike

Bernina 217 crankshaft end-screw for needle positioner

I've got a Bernina 217. I'm trying to add a needle positioner. The adapter  that is held to the crankshaft just beyond the handwheel came with two screws (One looks like M8; the other is a little smaller), one of which is supposed to fix into the threads in the end of hte crankshaft. But my Bernina appears to use an M10 screw. My problem is the thread-pitch. 

I've tried M10 - 1.50 and M10 - 1.25 and neither wants to go in (although the 1.25 seemed promising for about 3/4 turn or so). Does anyone know whether it's actually an M10-1.00 (which is "extra fine" in metric terms) or perhaps some custom thread. Any advice eagerly accepted. 

--John

Just in case anyone else ever needs this: it's M10 x 1.00 (i.e., extra-fine thread). Also, the threads only extend about 3/8" or 1/2" into the crankshaft. 

Which needle positoner did you buy? I have a 217 and I'm interested in this upgrade from the clutch motor it came with