Hi All,

As a left handed person it is hard to find holsters so I decided to make one.  this is my 1st holster and I decided to make a paddle style OWB.  Wet formed the leather and used a hair dryer which really stiffened it up.  happy with results but need to keep working on my tooling.

256037171_holster3small.jpg.d460626d1f3fea4c2ca87048d8c3dd22.jpg

holster 1 small.jpg

holster 5 small.jpg

Nice! Is the paddle just stiffened leather or is there something sandwiched between layers of leather? 

LC

Just 2 layers of 8 oz with a 3rd 8oz "catch" layer.  May add a washer behind the catch part for more depth.

35 minutes ago, vgodley1 said:

Just 2 layers of 8 oz with a 3rd 8oz "catch" layer.  May add a washer behind the catch part for more depth.

Nice! I've been thinking of doing a paddle holster as well, but I have a kydex pull off from an uncle mikes holster that I was planning to use. 

I feel your pain as a fellow lefty and not having many options out there. 

LC

Update, I did just add                  2 - 1/2 " washers in the catch to widen the area and it works great now.  just slid them into the pocket and glued around.  need to get a little more die in there to make it look better.

I did think about adding a stiffener between the 2 layers but wanted to try to make it work and allow it to mold to my body more.   have a kydex holster for another pistol and don't like the feel.  I used screws to attach the paddle and may make a backing plate and straps to convert the holster to use as an Alaskan chest holster. 

Nice work...next time try to hide your hardware holding the paddle...you will eventually scratch ur gun finish...

Hi

That looks a lot better than my first holster. 

What color of thread did you start with?   I ask because it appears to have taken some dye.  If you dye the leather first, the thread stands out more.  You can still do the edging last and put more dye on the edges and finish.  With your application, I'd have used a matching thread anyway.  The white thread would have stood out too much for Alaska.

Later

I think you did an excellent job, especially for a first holster.  Did you make the design yourself?  

I haven't made a paddle holster yet but it's on my future list of things to do.  Maybe one for my Smith&Wesson EZ9.