MariMari

Koch H.Sackmann machine

Hello, 
I have bought a sewing machine a year back, cleaned it, oiled it and it seems to run good. And I would love to use it.
But I have trouble finding any more information about that monster. Also I don't have needles for it. Or anything else not attached to machine.
Does anyone have an idea about that green beast?

20210119_122652[1].jpg

20210119_122631[1].jpg

Hi MariMari and welcome to the forum, I think this machine was made by a few makers, Adler, Atlas and maybe more? the pictures are very small but i think this post bed model had a roller wheel? I am not sure what model number this was given so i  cannot say what needle size it is. Maybe someone has this type of machine and can say what needle size they use, sorry and good luck.

Good  Lord  :blink:

A post bed machine made by KOCH (later Koch´s Adler, then Adler, nowadays Dürkopp-Adler) but I do not know the model. I only can guess - I assume it is a "KOCHS ADLER - Sattler Universal Class 23. If that is the case (I only can guess) then the needle system is 580 / 585A. System 580 is a ~ 10,5cm long needle but it is obsolete.

As Jimi said, pictures are too small to tell details. Most likely the flat bed version of this machine were either the Adler II or Adler III. H. Sackmann appears to be the dealer the machine once was bought from.

Do you have the shuttle hook (see pictures 3,4) and maybe a bobbin?  Open the cover plate on the post and hopefully the parts are present. If present please post some pictures. If the the parts are missing (or maybe they are in the drawer?) there is almost no chance to find the parts, I´d say.

This is what I have cobbled together from my records (see pictures)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Good  Lord  :blink:

A post bed machine made by KOCH (later Koch´s Adler, then Adler, nowadays Dürkopp-Adler) but I do not know the model. I only can guess - I assume it is a "KOCHS ADLER - Sattler Universal Class 23. If that is the case (I only can guess) then the needle system is 580 / 585A. System 580 is a ~ 10,5cm long needle but it is obsolete.

As Jimi said, pictures are too small to tell details. Most likely the flat bed version of this machine were either the Adler II or Adler III. H. Sackmann appears to be the dealer the machine once was bought from.

Do you have the shuttle hook (see pictures 3,4) and maybe a bobbin?  Open the cover plate on the post and hopefully the parts are present. If present please post some pictures. If the the parts are missing (or maybe they are in the drawer?) there is almost no chance to find the parts, I´d say.

This is what I have cobbled together from my records (see pictures)

I think you are right, thank you.
I'll see if i can find needles for it.

Haha! Thanks for the information Folker, Koch,Adler...so this is the nº 23-24 model :thumbsup:

On 1/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, MariMari said:

20210121_093549.jpg

So when I look closer at your needle holder it appears that it is height adjustable and probably could take shorter needles / more common needles as well.

Can you take a picture of the opposite side of the needle bar please? In best case you may be able to reposition or maybe modify the holder to accommodate common (modern) needles like the 794 or others. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

If it was my machine I`d order some "common" needle systems for testing (like 328, 794, 1000) in approx size 180 or 200 and test them in different needle holder positions. This of course is trial and error and no one knows if any of the needles will work.

Another option is you look for some rigid / stiff 2mm - 3mm round bar / round material (depends on how wide the needle hole is) for inserting it as a needle substitute. Make sure it is not hitting parts somewhere. Shove it all the way up into the needle holder. Then rotate the hand wheel until the tip of the shuttle meets the needle substitute in the middle of the "needle" and make a mark with an Edding or similar where the shuttle tip meets the needle. Test this in all needle holder positions. Measure the distance from top of the "needle" down to the edding mark and with this measure we can "try" to find a needle that "could" probably work. This of course is not a very precise method but you do not have many options since you do not have an original neelde.

Threading the shuttle should be fairly easy to figure and for the top thread path I guess I have a manual of an older Adler II flat bed machine that should work for your machine as well.

BTW - just wondering is the shuttle carrier rotating or oscillating.

Also if you don´t mind please post some more pictures of the machine in full view form all sides and some detailed pictures of the external parts. Can´t be wrong to have some documentation for the future.

Does your machine have a bobbin winder?

I have not had any time to go about it.  But I'm back in business now. Hope these pics are better, I had to move the machine for that ...beast is heavy...

Tomorrow I will get another machine ( Singer  34K11) to help me out till I get this one moving. But perhaps I need 2 anyway and will keep Singer as well.

So far I only handstitched leather but now that I have horses I need to make some gear. And I'm afraid my poor fingers will not take handsewing pressure.

34K11 is a heavy one among the 34K class machines - lets hope it has the shuttle and bobbin cause they are obsolete (not the same as for 34K5 and the like). The machine is using 328 needles.

That is quite an impressive piece of mechnical wizardry! That original needle looks like it was designed to sew several layers of plywood!!!

On 2/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Constabulary said:

34K11 is a heavy one among the 34K class machines - lets hope it has the shuttle and bobbin cause they are obsolete (not the same as for 34K5 and the like). The machine is using 328 needles.

I bought it, all parts are here. Just need to get needles.

Thank you !

20210219_145650.jpg

Very nice machine Marimari, can you send some more pictures when you get it working?