JAWS

Potentially Selling Projects

New to leatherworking as a hobby and am loving it but its eating up money fast. Not looking to make a business of it just sell on occasion to offset all the costs. My question and concern is I've mainly been getting free patterns online or trying to replicate interesting stuff I see online. I'm curious about selling something I've made and getting in trouble for having sold a design that's copy written, trademarked, etc. or how that would work.

Thanks,

Jeremy

A big can of worms

Basically, many pattern makers won't bother you if you only make a few, say up to half-dozen, items from their patterns and sell them.  More than that and the pattern maker would look a fee, unless they've said 'only for personal use' or 'go and make lots'

Tandy actually encourages you to use their patterns to make things for sale. The more you make the more you buy, hopefully, from Tandy

Copying exactly someone else's product and selling yours is a big no-no. Using the product style to make your own version is better

just make your own pattern.

now that youve got your feet wet and have made some items. its not that much work to draw out your own design ( it can be similar just not exactly the same)

and cut it out of some heavy card stock or manila folders like i use lol

Also i find it highly unlikely anyone will bring it up unless your company blows up and gets famous then someone might go out of there way to hassle you about it.

Ive probably made 3 or 4 different revisions to my wallet pattern that i currently use . just fine tune it as you go.

i got the initial dimensions from my store bought wallet that was trash and just figured it out by watching videos and other makers.

you'll see where you need to make things bigger or and some extra leather for wiggle room or cut allowance. its all part of the process :thumbsup:

Just make a small modification and you're good to go. In some cases you have to modify somebody else's pattern, anyway.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:40 PM, Hardrada said:

Just make a small modification and you're good to go. In some cases you have to modify somebody else's pattern, anyway.

I think ? , that be called ... " using your Artistic interpretation". . in 5000 years of history gone by, today finding truly unique one of a kind ideas/patterns are going to be few .

In all honesty, there ain't too much different in wallet making that has been discovered in the last 100 years or so. EVERYBODY has leaned on those who have come before since that one caveman made the first wallet. Having said that though, its highly uncool to take someone's pattern and call it your own. If you do decide to do that be prepared to buy the pattern from the maker when you have sold one. The way I see it is that if I'm not making my own pattern, I owe the individual that made the pattern I'm using and I expect a similar amount of reciprocation from everyone else. Give credit where it's due and ensure you scratch the back of the leathercrafter who helped you, even if they don't know they did.

And if the pattern is listed as free to use however you desire, then have at it!

Edited by battlemunky