Loudcherokee

Help Please - stained leather

Hey all, 

I finished up a tri-fold wallet last night that I made for my Father-In-Law and when I had everything done, I set it under my poundo board with some weight on top to help hold its shape closed. 

Well, I got up this morning and there seems to have been a bit of transfer of some sort from the poundo board. Im not sure how to get this off without ruining my finish, which is Fiebings Pro saddle tan. I tried some conditioner but nothing came out. 

Any ideas? 

20210122_113858.jpg

Unless you want to go darker, I'd chalk that up to character. 

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Unless you want to go darker, I'd chalk that up to character. 

Plus all part of the learning curve

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Cant say for sure but I've had something that looks kind of like that. I just make sure there no wet dye on the surface I'm dyeing on. The paper, cardboard or benchtop ect. Call it transfer if you like. still have to be careful when I use an airbrush.

1. if you reckon this is ruined as its now, try wiping it down thoroughly with lacquer thinners aka cellulose thinners

2 but be advised that the lacquer thinners will most likely take off a lot of the dye

3 this may or not work

4 after the thinners you'll need to re-dye and give it some nfo

Well, after showing it to the wife, she seems to think that it gives it "character" and said to leave it alone. Maybe it will fade off with use and rding in his back pocket. 

LC

9 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

there seems to have been a bit of transfer of some sort from the poundo board

And of course the lesson here is to keep your work area wiped clean. Easy to suggest, but after an incident like this, you will never forget. I do most of my work on a large "self-healing" cutting board the size of my bench, and I keep a spray bottle of saddle soap and a boxful of microfiber cloths nearby to aid in keeping it clean. You just never want this to happen twice.

In a year or so, make another to replace it.  You'll be amazed at how a year of leather work experience results in a higher quality product, and the inlaw will be happy to have a new one.

YinTx

Speaking from my own experience, I would like to advise you to use lacquer thinners to wipe the wallet down (make sure to wipe thoroughly). Bear in mind that this process might have some of the dye of your leather. Then, in order to give the leather it's original finish, re-dye the leather with the original dye that was used on it.

P.S you might want to give your leather some NFO, this will bring your leather additional roundness and fullness. 

Try one of those White Magic Sponges... DRY! Fiebigs/Weaver/Mr Clean(from grocery store).

I've had good luck with these on nubuck, (like Timberline boots)