OB1Jacobi

How can I get a "pull-up" affect on natural veg tan?

I've read that pull up or "crazy horse" leather is basically created by the way the leather is finished at the tannery and any type of leather can be pull up leather.

I've got a large hide of 5-6oz natural veg tan. Is there something I can do to it to get that same "pull up" effect? I've been using Fiebing's alcohol die (but thinking about switching to the pro dye) and it's not really giving me the effect I would like.

yeah it's called retanning. and there's no real easy way for a person at home to give it a go. Springfield leather usually has cheep oil tanned sides that can be had. they have the pull up effect. 

Don't know whether you would buy such "pull-up" leather. Just to let you know in case you are ready to, there's a British leather firm in Westyorkshire, by name: J. Wood Leathers Ltd. They sell as they say "Blazer Pull-Up Vet Tan Whole Butt Splits" and their website is: www.jwoodleathers.co.uk. Have a look at this site, may be it pays out for you. Wish you luck.

The Leathertresher fro Switzerland.

You can mess around with some different oil/wax mixtures and see if you can get a pull up effect at home but it's tough, even tougher to do it on a large piece. If you figure it out, share the knowledge please!