Brigg

4 inch or smaller head knife around $150 or less? Is a "French" knife a good alternative?

2 hours ago, jcuk said:

Curious what makes you think this knife will be of more quality. 

Also have a look at this site there is only one Round Knife at the moment it is unmarked and 5'' contact Bruce ask him about it, don't think it would be on his site if he did not rate it.  Many here will endorse his site and the quality of the tools for sale it will be ready to go out of the box and it might be an unmarked gem, he often has some good old ones for sale. My first single Head Knife was unmarked and is a little gem still have it some 25 plus years cost £13

https://brucejohnsonleather.com

JCUK

I don't think that knife will be any better quality but it is cheap-ish and a size that works. I spoke to Bruce last night he is going to see if he has anything that will fit my criteria.

7 hours ago, thunter9 said:

first are you from the states?

Yes I am in the US.

has anyone mentioned that you don't really need a head knife for leather. It is a great tool but can easily be replaced with any quality cutting edge. For that matter many on the forum use the replaceable blade box cutter style knives.

In all the time i have been in leather work i have not seen any other knife as versatile as a Round Knife/Head Knife, i would not be without mine. In fact i cant think of a more versatile tool that i have. 

Edited by jcuk

53 minutes ago, jcuk said:

In all the time i have been in leather work i have not seen any other knife as versatile as a Round Knife/Head Knife, i would not be without mine. In fact i cant think of a more versatile tool that i have. 

Agreed. But I find there's a difference between a round knife and a head knife. Having said that, I find myself using my Japanese leather knives more and more. Not terribly expensive and if you're willing to spend some time putting an edge on them they're very sharp.

Regards,

Arturo

8 minutes ago, Arturomex said:

Agreed. But I find there's a difference between a round knife and a head knife. Having said that, I find myself using my Japanese leather knives more and more. Not terribly expensive and if you're willing to spend some time putting an edge on them they're very sharp.

Regards,

Arturo

Yes i too know there is a difference between the a Round Knife and a Head knife just mention both because some may have one or the other, i have no doubt about those Japanese knives as being ok to use got to be better than a Stanley type knife (box cutter) especially those with snap off blades ouch waiting to happen to me, for the type of work i don't think any knife can replace a Round Knife.

JCUK

I'll say it again: there isn't really anything better than a half-moon knife for cutting curves. I've tried all others and they just don't cut it (pun intended).

My current cutting stable, arranged from most to least used, starting from the left:

Cutting.jpg.38b5f9c14f3899e8ee2716c66d26bea0.jpg

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it.

I order a 3.5" head knife from Terry Moore and may end up also buying a knife from Bruce Johnson if he has one that fits my requirements.

From Moore Saddle Shop's Facebook Page:

120966039_2713497878899618_5381364152367

That’s a beautiful head knife.  I’m sure that it will do a great job on strait and curved cuts.  For skiving, though, I prefer a zero flat grind with no secondary bevels. 

Please update this thread when you get the chance to give them a shot.  Very curious to know how different knife designs perform.  I’ve been meaning to make a head knife. 

i will offer this bit. it meets at least some of your criteria, but price wise, well, but you would wind up giving it to your kids and them to their kids. Knipschield knives. yes they are custom, but quality, don't have to sharpen them much, just strop them. the one that is in your stats is a chan geer knife. 3 1/4 '' from point to point. 5 1/2 from top to bottom. $245.00  He aslo has Texas Rosebud, 4  1/4 from point to point . $245.00 the blades are rc 60. Bob klenda loves his. just thought I would throw this out there for you. Remember, after you have been in this for a little while, you are not buying a tool, you are making an investment. that will last a long, long time. hope this helps.

'

7 hours ago, OLESKIVER said:

i will offer this bit. it meets at least some of your criteria, but price wise, well, but you would wind up giving it to your kids and them to their kids. Knipschield knives. yes they are custom, but quality, don't have to sharpen them much, just strop them. the one that is in your stats is a chan geer knife. 3 1/4 '' from point to point. 5 1/2 from top to bottom. $245.00  He aslo has Texas Rosebud, 4  1/4 from point to point . $245.00 the blades are rc 60. Bob klenda loves his. just thought I would throw this out there for you. Remember, after you have been in this for a little while, you are not buying a tool, you are making an investment. that will last a long, long time. hope this helps.

'

Totally agree i have a Knipschield Knife in fact the said Texas rosebud had it around five years its never been near a stone just strop and go works as well as the day i got  it, only mistake i made looking back cant help feeling should have got the full fat version the Texas Rose. Also i would be very shocked if they did not hold there value on the used market, when you think about it $245.00 is not a lot for something you use more or less every time you go into your work shop especially as i have said you can do more with this one knife than other knife which means you don't need to buy several different for likes of skiving and such if you take the time to learn how to use one. 

JCUK 

Edited by jcuk

I think I might like the action of the quarter moon in the first pic so I've just ordered one of these,  firstly, I know the edge is probably crap but it will let me know how well I get on with the action before buying a proper one and secondly I had a thought that the gubbins that comes with it might work as an upside down version of the two nails lace maker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Welding-Flooring-Crescent-Trimming/dp/B08LBFX1YQ/ref=asc_df_B08LBFX1YQ/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520393551512&psc=1

3 hours ago, toxo said:

I think I might like the action of the quarter moon in the first pic so I've just ordered one of these,  firstly, I know the edge is probably crap but it will let me know how well I get on with the action before buying a proper one and secondly I had a thought that the gubbins that comes with it might work as an upside down version of the two nails lace maker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Welding-Flooring-Crescent-Trimming/dp/B08LBFX1YQ/ref=asc_df_B08LBFX1YQ/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520393551512&psc=1

Think this would have been a better choice i know its double the money but looks far better quality.

https://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/7-121.html#SID=15

Hope this helps

JCUK

34 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Think this would have been a better choice i know its double the money but looks far better quality.

https://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/7-121.html#SID=15

Hope this helps

JCUK

It does indeed but £30 + Shipping is less easy to slough off than £15 delivered. If I get on with the action (I've never used a push knife.), I'll look for quality. I've tried a few different knives and my favourite believe it or not is one of those skinny ali things with the really sharp point. A couple of strops now and then and it's as sharp as a sharp thing.

35 minutes ago, toxo said:

It does indeed but £30 + Shipping is less easy to slough off than £15 delivered. If I get on with the action (I've never used a push knife.), I'll look for quality. I've tried a few different knives and my favourite believe it or not is one of those skinny ali things with the really sharp point. A couple of strops now and then and it's as sharp as a sharp thing.

Have to confess i have never used this kind of knife as you can tell from my previous post is this topic its a Round knife foe me at least 95% of the time .Skinny ali things with a really sharp point ? 

2 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Have to confess i have never used this kind of knife as you can tell from my previous post is this topic its a Round knife foe me at least 95% of the time .Skinny ali things with a really sharp point ? 

LOL! Third from the right in Hardradas pic above. I hold it like a pencil and it's easy to follow any curve with precision. Bear in mind I only work up to 2.4mm.

25 minutes ago, toxo said:

LOL! Third from the right in Hardradas pic above. I hold it like a pencil and it's easy to follow any curve with precision. Bear in mind I only work up to 2.4mm.

Oh a Exacto type knife i have a full set which i have had  25+ years all pretty much in mint condition that's how much i use them,  for cutting lighter leather i use a Clicker knife which is the far right one.

2 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Oh a Exacto type knife i have a full set which i have had  25+ years all pretty much in mint condition that's how much i use them,  for cutting lighter leather i use a Clicker knife which is the far right one.

Have looked at the clicker type but has a thicker blade so can't get enough pressure if holding like a pencil and if you use overhand I seem to have trouble seeing the line. And why clicker?

17 minutes ago, toxo said:

Have looked at the clicker type but has a thicker blade so can't get enough pressure if holding like a pencil and if you use overhand I seem to have trouble seeing the line. And why clicker?

Easier to cut and paste this. Many make their own blades from old hack saw blades.

https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/clicker-knife-1476-p.html

Edited by jcuk

I tried cutting curves with the clicker knife but I could never get it to work for me. I also wonder whence the term 'clicker' came? Mine doesn't make any sound when I use it. :thinking:

5 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

I tried cutting curves with the clicker knife but I could never get it to work for me. I also wonder whence the term 'clicker' came? Mine doesn't make any sound when I use it. :thinking:

Might be of interest.

https://www.crockettandjones.com/the-article/the-clicking-room-secrets-of-the-shoe-trade/

Why are clicker knives called clicker knives?

In the early days of manufacture of leather goods,  before a lot of automation, the pieces would be cut out by hand. So a factory would have rows of benches with leatherworkers at them; and a large cutting out hall would have many workers. Top class, and therefore expensive, leather goods are still made this way, but on a smaller scale

On thick leather the pattern would be cut out by a few cuts on the same line . At first, before the piece was fully cut out, when the knife came to the edge of the hide it would slide off the edge and hit the bench underneath, making a clicking noise as it did so

Thus the knife became known as a clicker knife, after the sound it made

Traditionally the workers would be provided with a basic, blunt, knife or awl, so they could sharpen and shape it to suit themselves. This practice has continued for some makers 

Edited by zuludog

6 minutes ago, zuludog said:

Why are clicker knives called clicker knives?

In the early days of manufacture of leather goods, like bags and footwear, before a lot of automation, the pieces would be cut out by hand. So a factory would have rows of benches with leatherworkers at them; and a large cutting out hall would have many workers

On thick leather the pattern would be cut out by a few cuts on the same line . At first, before the piece was fully cut out, when the knife came to the edge of the hide it would slide off the edge and hit the bench underneath, making a clicking noise as it did so

Thus the knife became known as a clicker knife, after the sound it made

Traditionally the workers would be provided with a basic, blunt, knife or awl, so they could sharpen and shape it to suit themselves. This practice has continued for some makers 

Thanks dog. I have no problem hanging on to old names even if they're redundant. Where I struggle is when they put £50 on the price because "It's a Clicker knife". LOL

I know we're in danger of going off topic here, but I have shaped & sharpened some of my own leatherworking knives - 

A skiving knife from a dirty, rusty old putty knife, but a good one with a forged spring steel blade; cost me 50p from a car boot sale. I used a hacksaw, files, oilstones, and a strop

A kiridashi - cum - English paring knife from a 25mm hacksaw blade

I had a cheap block plane that was fiddly and difficult to adjust & use, but the blade was quite good, so I turned it into a Japanese style leather knife

I had arranged for my local photographic club to help me post pictures, but the Lockdown stopped that. Hopefully, one day soon......

31 minutes ago, toxo said:

Thanks dog. I have no problem hanging on to old names even if they're redundant. Where I struggle is when they put £50 on the price because "It's a Clicker knife". LOL

Have a look at www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk They have a few types of fixed blade knives fairly cheap. I suspect they are old stock, and none the worse for it