Sign in to follow this  
Jloke

Cylinder arm sewing machine and binder

Hi , I was looking at buying a cylinder arm machine for edge binding and bag closing . Just wanted to understand the benefits of a synchronised binder vs a non synchronised swing away binder . Will the non synchronised version do just as good job ? My preference would be to have one machine such as a Seiko lcw 8 bl that I can use to close bags which also has a binder attachment for finishing the seams . Or is it worth having a dedicated synchronised binder such as a pfaff 335 , 

thanks for you help 

The first question I would ask is what size of thread you are planning on using and how thick the thickness part of the bag you are planning on sewing. The Pfaff 335 I think will max out with V69 thread with a 134 needle while the Seiko tops out at V138 thread with a 135 needle. Replacement parts should also be a consideration. Here the Pfaff parts / accessories are expensive. If I'm not mistaken Sieko makes or use to make Consew machines so parts / accessories should be less, something to check.

I use the same binder attachments made for my flatbeds (Juki 1541S, Juki 1181N,  Pfaff 1245 ) on my cylinder arm (Kobe LS-1341  which is a Juki 341 clone). The binding results are the same and none of my machines are synchronized. The main difference is the cost of the binder attachments. Flatbed attachments are inexpensive ($20 CA or less) each versus $180 CA each for the cylinder machine. I like being able to buy one attachment and use it on all my machines regardless whether it is a flatbed or a cylinder. A lot of cylinder require you make changes to the needle plate, feed dog or cylinder cover plate to use a binder attachment.

kgg