Sign in to follow this  
LiftPig

Anyone used this press

Any holster makers used this press for leather?  Any thoughts on it?  

image.png.28c6371fd464a9eb687fffe9fb76e0a8.png

Are the pressure plates a closed cell, dense foam?  That sure makes a nice 'boning' job without the boning tool. 

10 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Are the pressure plates a closed cell, dense foam?  That sure makes a nice 'boning' job without the boning tool. 

It comes with some manner of high-density closed cell foam.  Doesn't say what the density is.  It's made for Kydex.  I imagine it would get at least a beginning impression made that could then be sharpened with normal techniques.

I suspect that rubber is dense enough to force the material to it's finished shape in one shot.  I wonder if or how much the leather is cased before forming.....  I'd bet it is cased fairly well to form so smoothly and deeply. 

When I wet form holsters I dip it for about 7 seconds in ~2c luke warm water with 1 drop of dish soap (breaks up surface tension).  I then let it set for about 5 minutes before introducing the pistol.  This is using 8-10 ounce very firm veg tan.