mek1941

What can you tell me about this machine?

I want to find out what make and model this is, where I can get a manual or parts list, what it should be capable of sewing.  Everything moves freely and smoothly.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

20210125_200224_copy_1008x567.jpg

20210125_200214_copy_1008x567.jpg

20210125_200426_copy_1008x567.jpg

20210125_200219_copy_1008x567.jpg

20210125_200312_copy_1008x567.jpg

Very likely an early Singer 51W variant. No documentation on a Singer 51W3 that I can find, though. Singer may have made a special version for A.E.N. Co. 

This looks like a very close relative to a machine that @Constabulary restored:

Edited by Uwe

Across the back side, when looking closely, there is the remnants of "Wheeler & Wilson".

Apparently, Singer took over Wheeler & Wilson in 1905. Your machine is likely a circa 1905 model, since Singer retired the Wheeler & Wilson brand soon after acquiring it. 

Singer was, in some ways, the Microsoft of its day, absorbing small companies into its growing empire to add patents and features. Singer has a bit of reputation of being brilliant at  manufacturing designs hat others invented on a large scale, sometimes contributing to the demise of smaller companies.

Wheeler and Wilson patented both the rotating hook and the four-motion feed dog. No wonder Singer was happy to add those patents to their portfolio. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler_%26_Wilson

Edited by Uwe

This Singer/W&W 51W23 also looks a lot like yours. Unfortunately, documentation is nearly non-existent online. 

http://industrialsewingmachinereviews.biz/industrial_singer_wheeler_wilson_model_51w23_post_bed_sewing_machine_head_only.htm

I have a manual for an early 51w meanwhile (came from a LW member) but it is not exactly for your (our) machine(s) subclass but anyway it is a usable manual but has some technical differences. File is too big to attach here. Please send me your email address by PM if you are interested.

I own the 51WSV2 UWE has liked to. Very decent machine. Of course not the latest technical craze but hey forming a thread knot has not changed the "last years" so mine really works very well, I´m pleased. However I made several technical changes like different hook and different needle bar to accommodate a more common needle (137x17) and so forth. I also found new made feed dogs and needle plates that fits this decades old machine. I also increased the stitch length but I explained all that in the above linked thread.

This parts list should be quite close for your machine:

Download Link:      Singer 51w25 to 31 Parts list

Edited by Constabulary

What are the Needle/Thread size options i would have as it is now?  Also, motor recommendation for this machine?  

And thank you  Constabulary and Uwe for the information, I really appreciate it.

Chart in the manual says up to #26 needle. :blink: But I seriously doubt that #26 needle where available for this needle system because of the thin shaft (below 2mm). And I doubt the thick thread would pass the gap between hook and needle plate w/o problems because the machine (at least mine) has no bobbin case opener. Later machines have a bobbin case opener (see manual I sent you). Realistic is a #22 needle and 138 thread max. I´d say. But I usually run #92 / #96 thread in this machine. The availability of system 128 needles on my side of the pond and the condition of the original needle bar lead me to the idea of changing the needle bar. So now I´m able to use "common needles". But that required modifying the machine. I had to install a longer needle bar guide on the upper end because the "new" needle bar was a lot shorter than the original needle bar. The majority of my machines are using 135x17 needles and therefore the decision was easy to set up this machine for 135x17 as well so I do not have to stock lots of different needle systems.

EDIT:

I have to correct my self. I just have checked an old needle catalogue and it states #26 where available for system 128 (decades ago...). :blink: Does not make much sense IMO but well, thats what the catalogue says. I stick to my opinion that 138 and #22 needle at max. is a reasonable combination. But he limitation is pretty much the size of the needle hole in your needle plate.

Edited by Constabulary