Sign in to follow this  
Josacraw

Pfaff 438 needles

I just purchased a pfaff 438 which uses the 438/265 needle system. I'm having trouble locating the needle gauge I would like. I want to run v92 thread in a 19-21 needle size.

Are there any needle systems I could switch to?

Thanks

Groz Beckert has a 265 system in 120NM

Schmetz has system 265 also in a 120NM

This appears the largest size for both brands in this system.

I spoke to my local needle/thread supplier and they said 134ZZ is the same as 438. They also noted a 134 which has larger gauges but may or may not fit. Does anyone know the particulars of 134ZZ? I was able to find the dimensions of 134 here

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/81816-needle-size-134/

134 and 134 ZZ needles: 33.9 mm from the top of the shank to the top of the eye, 2.0 mm shank diameter. 339.200 AC XX R

We never use the full length of the needle in the specifications.

134 ZZ has a different scarf configuration so that it will work in Zig Zag machines.

This is the reply I received from a groz usa rep to my question on 134 dimensions. Hopefully it helps someone else out. 

To follow up I'm using groz 134 system  20 gauge needle in the pfaff 438 and it is working just fine. I am not running anywhere close to the rated SPM for this machine but not crawling either. When sewing through 8 layers of 9 oz dacron the thread was fraying and snapping on a 19 gauge needle but so far it's good on a 20. 

Visually the needle system are very similar. The zz scarf slopes gently into the eye with a slope that goes about halfway into the eye. The non zz does not slope into the eye at all.

Hope this helps someone