Hayes

How to apply Epoxy to a finished leather product

Hey folks, I've got a project in mind and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I am wanting to make a tooled leather lap board. I'd like to be able to use it for writing and working, and obviously a tooled leather piece isn't the best for that purpose. So what I was thinking was to pour a leveling hardening epoxy over the top of the finished leather piece to make it smooth and suitable for working on. Would this be possible? Any tips for making it work or any other ideas for this type of project?

Edited by Hayes

I think it'd be doable but you may darken the hell out of the project between the moisture of the epoxy and the heat when it kicks off. I'd do a test piece first.

As far as execution goes, hit up YouTube and search for "epoxy counter tops" and do it the same way but without the coloring additives. Just use clear but follow the part about how to do the edges.

Pleeeeeease post pics when you do this. I think it'd be super cool if it works like I hope it does.

The epoxy will damage the leather.

Maybe overlay it with a thin sheet of 3mm clear acrylic. Punch holes around the edge of the leather, drill matching holes in the acrylic and lace together

I have some experience with this.  Epoxy isn’t flexible so if applied directly to leather it will start to peel around the edges over time (leather being porous will want to shift and shrink).  Would try wood or acrylic as suggested.  

You'll still have shear breakages over time. However, utter rigidity may not be absolutely necessary for the purpose. Might some seriously thick boiled leather work?