I saw a similar Kydex boot holster for a small auto. Thought I would try it out for a Bond Arms derringer. Second try, both have problems. Should be sturdy as it is glued, sewed and riveted. Finished with EVOO that I am not that impressed with. Also my first shell loops. Too far apart I am sure although I measured cartridge plus 2x leather thickness. Main problem is gun won’t extract when on boot. Extracts fine off boot. Carries well, comfortable. Wondering if it needs some kind of stiffener behind pouch. 

586DA16F-5F72-4263-AB93-1B88E4CF331C.jpeg

6B157D2D-B995-4249-93C3-33A7CD9E912B.jpeg

That’s really a  cool concept! Really creative. I wonder if I could make a similar one for a lace less work boot? Something like a rifle sleeve tightened with lacing? 

In order for something like that to work and work right . . . you need to make a form similar to that part of your leg . . . pad it so that it correctly mimics it . . . put on an old boot that simulates what you have . . . then put the base piece of leather around it . . . make a form fitted outside holster piece . . .  out of wetted and dried veggie tan . . . (drying it in a 140 deg oven will make it more sturdy . . . 

THEN . . . using your "leg model" put the little hand cannon in the outside piece . . .  lay it up against your model . . . mark where the edges should be . . . glue it and sew it there.

That's how you make those things . . . not meaning to pick on your effort . . . but you used sloppy floppy leather . . . and did not allow for it to be pulled up tight when it is put on.  That application needs a form fitted holster outside part at least.  I would have made two . . . one for the pattern . . . and the second one the whole thing would have been wetted . . .  put on the form . . . and tossed into my hot box to dry and seal the form of it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Viking, I think it would work on any kind of boot. The holster lacing is independent of boot lacing.  Length of backing leather would vary. 

Dwight, yes it is too flexible. This is the second one I made and the 3 rd or so pattern. It is 9-10 oz veg tanned, wet formed with gun in it and strapped to boot to dry on heat register. The pouch is rigid from wet forming. Should have been smaller but for sure no way to extract from a tighter holster. I am thinking a metal plate behind inner leather strap to keep it rigid. The commercial one I saw was Kydex. I don’t know if it’s legal to post a commercial link for an example here. And yes it’s fine to pick on it. Need an idea that works. I can’t machine sew more layers or I would double layer it and that weight leather is about as heavy as I seem able to work with. That gun also fits perfectly in my Niteize cell phone holster. Might need complete holster attached to strap. I 

Maybe re-wet the holster side, and stretch the leather by wrapping the gun A LOT and letting it dry completely. You can't overdo it cos of the keeper strap.

What i see is that your lacing setup tightens the leather around the gun making it to tight to pull.  I would sew it so the lacing tightens the inner without tightening the outer holster. Kinda hard to explain but basically the holster needs to be attached but separate from the piece that tightens. KInda  like a belt holster combo but smaller. AND>>> I just what what Dwight said  and his explanation is much better than mine. So never mind lol. 

Hi

I think what Chuck is hitting at is that you need to make the BACK of the holster right, the side against your leg, while leaving the FRONT of the holster to grip the gun.

If that helps.

Maybe a complete floating holster all around the gun, mounted with maybe 3 or 4 rivets but not tight to strap ? 

A slightly improved version.

A84FE94A-5EAB-48F4-8369-974F9C8999C6.jpeg

Does the revised one allow for a smoother draw when on your leg?  Nothing like making an improvement to a design you weren't happy with.  Very rewarding.  Did you put the ammo loops on this one too?

Edited by PastorBob

It is smoother and has ammo loops on opposite side. However, it makes it awfully wide to get pants cuff down over it. I am going to make another base strap without cartridge loops to make it narrower. The holster pouch is just attached with Chicago screws for now.