Brigg

What were your first leather projects? How do you grow skills efficently?

I've made about 20 items out of leather so far. Pen cases, card cases, pouches, sleeves, sheaths, jotters, etc. I keep making new things never revisiting previous patterns/designs and I am wondering if it is better to work on "perfecting" one design or to keep making new things. I am constantly getting better but nothing I've made so far would meet my quality standard for my own personal purchase. I keep learning new types of construction and techniques and I am considering moving on to bigger items like bags but I am not sure that makes sense if what I am currently making isn't there yet.

What were your first leather projects like and what have you found to be the most efficient/best way to grow your skills?

My first leather projects were dog collars and misc harness parts. I had to start with  fairly simple projects as I was still accumulating tools and supplies. Since then, I've made everything from horse harness to bags, bridles, belts, rifle slings,etc( I get bored very easily). I learn something new with each project but I do try to incorporate skills I would use in harness work since that is my main interest and there is  always room for improvement.

8 hours ago, Brigg said:

nothing I've made so far would meet my quality standard

And THAT is how you "grow skills" - you have answered your own question.  When you have no desire to improve, you won't.  Good news on the other hand, desire is really all that is required for improvement.

Now, "improvement" means different things to different people.  Sadly, for the craft, "good enough to get somebody to buy it" is about all most are interested in.  So some do mediocre or even poor work, and as long as there's a market that's enough for them - the SALE was what they were after, not the skill, and change only happens when that no longer sells.  MANY today throw something together with little or no regard at all for the goods, hoping to sell you "the emperor's clothing" - crap with a pretty story attached (and often long-winded useless videos linked).  So, buyer beware  - if somebody is willing to pay $50 and up to have somebody fold a piece of leather over, sew it, and call it a "wallet"... then the punishment fits the crime.

But somebody that says "how do I improve ... " gets my attention.

I can't show you a pic of my first goods, because pics weren't digital back then.  Sufficient to say they were BADLY done.  I started tooling belts.  I like tooled belts, and I figured that would be the best practice since it was tooling a long strap - not a lot of time invested in assembly, layout, etc... so I could concentrate on getting that part right.

I bought a stohlman book on belts, the tools that recommended, and some leather.  I tooled a belt using a pattern I thought looked nice (though the pic was black n white).  YIKES -- pitch that and do it again.  I ruined the first 16 or 18 "belts" I made (actually more than that, but point is I ruined the first entire hide about 1 1/2" wide at a time).  But I didn't pitch 'em .. when they were badly tooled (and they WERE) I kept them around to use to practice dyeing leather.  I fully intended to pitch them when done dyeing, but 50 or 60 inches of practice each seemed a good idea. Then again with applying different finishes.

All that said, I was not determined to do BELTS .. and in fact had period there where I spent most of my time making tooled handbags.... just what 'they' were asking for.  But by doing the SAME belts - over and over - I wasn't doing BELTS, I was doing LEATHER.

Somebody asks me every so often how long it took before I stopped making mistakes.  My answer is always the same - I'll let you know when that happens.

My leather working journey less than 2 years ago. i already knew i wanted to make higher end products ( not tooled ) so i decided to start with wallets/cardholders because that's the reason i got into leather work in the first place.. **side note** i was shopping for a designer wallet and noticed they all felt like junk and cheap. thought to myself i can make this LOL -

I can honestly say that i am barely starting to feel like my work is good enough to warrant selling. while i have sold about 15 wallets my work is only getting better because i am constantly trying to improve the fit and finish of my products. While i have made several bags/key chains and other items to test my skills my main focus is on wallets and card holders.

i dont see how alot of makers are getting business (must be the bright color pueblo as it is eye catching) because to be quite honest i feel like 90% of the work i see is exactly what @JLSleather stated a piece of leather folded in half and stitched. i get that its an easy way to get into leather work but i feel its very over saturated with people making the same thing. or maybe thats just my Instagram feed.

In regards to growing your skills which was your initial question i would say dont spread yourself to thin pick an item that you intend to sell and make it till you can look at it and feel good about selling it.

I am very critical when it comes to detail because of my day job as a machinist so at times i am hyper critical of my work. its also detrimental to my pocket because of all the time i spend on my products but im hoping it will pay of in the long run.

Take care -

Edited by CastleLeatherWorks

Smaller projects are more likely to be completed (especially tooling), and if/when you goof up, it's not as big a deal. 
So a larger number of smaller projects rather than a few big projects is what helped me develop skills. 

Thank you all for the great comments! I appreciate it! I am going to keep trying to make new things and learning new techniques until I come upon a product that I think there is a good market for.

8 hours ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

My leather working journey less than 2 years ago. i already knew i wanted to make higher end products ( not tooled ) so i decided to start with wallets/cardholders because that's the reason i got into leather work in the first place.. **side note** i was shopping for a designer wallet and noticed they all felt like junk and cheap. thought to myself i can make this LOL -

The spark to my interest in leather craft was also not being happy with designer wallets. I have wallets from Hermes, Goyard, Moreau, Moynat, Faure La Page, Pinel & Pinel, and Swaine Adeney Brigg and after stumbling across this trunk restoration website with a blog post about saddle stitching I was annoyed to find out that none of my wallets were hand stitched. I thought Hermes hand stitched everything because they use an angled stitch...turns out none of my Hermes wallets are hand stitched...I have an old ostrich skin notebook cover and a small picture frame from Hermes that are hand-stitched.

That said I do appreciate the quality of my wallets...I can't yet make a wallet that is as perfect as an Hermes or Moynat wallet. They use such thin leather, it is really impressive how tight and crisp they get everything.

if you have AADD, Adult - Attention Deficit Disorder :), not much you can do.

No one comes out of the womb knowing how to do everything.  Everyone starts at 0.

you need to figure out what motivate/works for you.  I found out that im not perfect and dont pick things up on the 1st try.  So what i have learned about myself is that it takes repetition and doing again and again and again.   How long you ask?  Until.    "Until" is up to you or someone judging your work.  But it was just me and my standards.  

I had books to use and look at the pictures to judge/compare my work against such as the saddle stitching.  Easy peasy.  And with other things i have done in the past, over time and repetition, i have found i became better at what i was doing.  Sometimes you have an ah-ha moment or something just clicks to where you know youve done it right. 

I tried the leather carving too.  My leahtercarving sucks.  I tried it several times but im not willing to take more time so i dont.  ALso just an fyi, i was an architecture student and my sketches of people looked the same as my leather carving - sucks.  Stick figure ish.   Buildings and objects were great, but something wrong with my wiring someplace.  So all of my leather projects are plain.  But the are easier to make.  I could do some stamping, but didnt want to get into that either.

I still make mistakes and know i will do so till im burried.  But its life and i know that.  

My 1st projects were in jr highschool where i was introduced into leathercraft.  If you see any of the old? starter leathercraft kits you will note they had various flat leather shapes to make things.  Such as keyfobs.  I think there was a hair barrette and some other things... but for the most part were flat.  not alot of stitching/sewing.  We did make some coin purses and some wallets.  All of them were "kits" so all you needed to do was to follow the path.  

What will happen to you is that if you dont improve your skills now, eventually something or a project will force you to.  

Ive made a SLR camera case with some heavy leather and using sole leather on the top/bottom. Try stitching sole leather with an awl.  I tried, but eventually had to use a dremel and pre-drill the holes.   Then on top of that i lined it with some closed cell phone and cordura.  I made bags that were a mix of leather and cordura and a bookpack with both too.  that pack lasted me through college and then some.  

just remember, many things are a "do over" so keep that in mind when you do something or a hobby.  It may cost you some money and time, but if you are willing to learn/try, then do what you need to do and keep an open mind.

If you want and if you have access to some leather shops in your area, look for some large "scrap" leather to buy and practice on.  If you can, look for pieces you can use to make "prototpyes" and such.  I have used some heavy poster board to make prototpyes and patterns.  Again, thinking outside the box to help in your skills.

If you screw up, evaluate why.  Just dont toss and start over.   Maybe even keep that and finish up the project to verify the end product will work as intended.  

On my 1st holster i made, it was for a friends Browning High power.  So i made a pattern, cut the leather and started stitching.  I wanted to lace it togeather too instead of saddle stitch and it was a PIA.  Ive laced thin leather, but i never laced an edge ~ 1/2 inch wide, so i had to learn on the fly how to to it.   I did use some scrap and build up to the thickness needed to practice on too.    And to top it off i made it a left handed holster.  I forgot to flip the patten over or the leather over.   ever since then, when i make a holster, i will forget to flip the pattern and always end up making a left hand holster.  but in my friends case, he was left handed and it worked out in the end.

imo, i think its more important you keep on doing.  How you will learn and improve your skills is up to you and either you will do it when you want or outside forces will make you do it.  Again, its your choice.

I found a post on here and someone suggested that you find a thing you want to make and then make 10 of them. I think it was @bikermutt07 that I read that said it but he was talking about someone on here that he had read. I digress, so I went and found a simple leather wallet, I believe it was a freebie from @JLSleather that I made templates for and then tweaked those to allow for seam allowance and scaled them up just a hair so I'd not have any issues with cards NOT fitting and THEN I made ten of them. As simple as they are, I improved quite a bit from the first to the last. By then I was hooked and ordered Nigel's wallet making pack from his website and went a bit crazy experimenting with different wallet builds. Now its a piece of cake and they almost all turn out the way I want them to with regard to fit, finish, and stitching. I even made myself one of my own design out of shell and it is sweet...quiltily luxurious even. I'm nowhere near as classy as that wallet.

Sadly, the market on simplistic minimalist wallets is pretty saturated and it doesn't take too much effort to learn to make them well and quickly so I'm a bit out of luck on the sales side of things other than local stuff, but I can make the hell out of a wallet now. And you know what else? Because of those ten wallets, I can make the hell out of a lot of other things too! So while the dream of taking over the world with wallets is dead, I can knock out a ton of other items and fulfill quite a few custom orders as well.

My plan is to hobby along until I can expand more in retirement from my current career. So I'll keep on keeping on with experimenting and improving until I retire in another 15 years. Looking back, I really wouldn't have the level of improvement I have had without those 10 wallets though. I'd recommend it to anyone. It is a bit boring though but soooo worth it in retrospect. Also, I don't think I am brave enough to make a go out of a career in leatherworking like a lot of folks on here have.

My $.02.

I find inspiration on Instagram and try to come up with my own take on it.  That’s how I pretty much learn.  
When learning Adobe Illustrator I just tried to copy things I like and learn step by step on how to accomplish it. 
Don’t forget the importance of templates and prototypes when making anything of complexity.  Make them out of paper, cardboard, fabric and glue them up.  It’s so easy to try to wing it but taking time to work through the design saves more in the long run. 

something else....

> sometimes you are your own worse critic too.

Do you have any Saturday Markets, flea markets, gun shops/shows, anyplace you may see the type of work you want to do?  

Look at what others are doing/making and see if yours is up to snuff or if you put yours side-by-side, would you pick one over the other? could you see any difference?

I did ALOT of bridle repair/mods.  So what it came down to was swapping brass for stainless or the other way around.  Or shortening/remaking something or a fix.  But for the most part, the customer knew what they wanted so all i needed to do was to make it happen.  No one i know of ever complained.

also, you are sort of vague in what you are doing/want.  Maybe thats on purpose or its how you think?  Maybe you dont have a clear vision in what you want to do, so it comes out in your hands/projects?

good luck

Speaking of Hermes, here is an article on the difference of a saddle stich and machine stitching that resembles a saddle stitch.  The picture shows how to tell the difference.

https://www.malle2luxe.fr/expertise-recognize-a-couture-hand-stitch-saddle-and-a-sewing-machine-hermes-mail-bag/

incroyable-comment-reconnaitre-une-couture-machine-d-une-couture-main-secret-des-sacs-a-main-de-luxe-hermes.jpg

People often forget that old apprentices take between 3-5 years and the First year or so is just practicing the basics every day for the full working day, nothing they did would leave the workshop.

These days we expect to become a crafts person with a few hours a week spend over trying to learn as much as possible without really learning the basics properly

YES to everyone above!

My first item was a guitar strap. I just wanted something simple and in good quality leather and could not find anything. After a while, I started to do other things. What inspires me is detail and a new approach to everyday items. As I don't find it easy to come up with new designs, I usually start with something I have seen many times before and then ask myself "what is missing" and "how can I improve the execution"?

I am also very (very) rarely happy with my results and believe this to be a good thing. Keep pushing!

19 hours ago, $$hobby said:

if you have AADD, Adult - Attention Deficit Disorder :), not much you can do.

No one comes out of the womb knowing how to do everything.  Everyone starts at 0.

you need to figure out what motivate/works for you.  I found out that im not perfect and dont pick things up on the 1st try.  So what i have learned about myself is that it takes repetition and doing again and again and again.   How long you ask?  Until.    "Until" is up to you or someone judging your work.  But it was just me and my standards.  

I had books to use and look at the pictures to judge/compare my work against such as the saddle stitching.  Easy peasy.  And with other things i have done in the past, over time and repetition, i have found i became better at what i was doing.  Sometimes you have an ah-ha moment or something just clicks to where you know youve done it right. 

I tried the leather carving too.  My leahtercarving sucks.  I tried it several times but im not willing to take more time so i dont.  ALso just an fyi, i was an architecture student and my sketches of people looked the same as my leather carving - sucks.  Stick figure ish.   Buildings and objects were great, but something wrong with my wiring someplace.  So all of my leather projects are plain.  But the are easier to make.  I could do some stamping, but didnt want to get into that either.

I still make mistakes and know i will do so till im burried.  But its life and i know that.  

My 1st projects were in jr highschool where i was introduced into leathercraft.  If you see any of the old? starter leathercraft kits you will note they had various flat leather shapes to make things.  Such as keyfobs.  I think there was a hair barrette and some other things... but for the most part were flat.  not alot of stitching/sewing.  We did make some coin purses and some wallets.  All of them were "kits" so all you needed to do was to follow the path.  

What will happen to you is that if you dont improve your skills now, eventually something or a project will force you to.  

Ive made a SLR camera case with some heavy leather and using sole leather on the top/bottom. Try stitching sole leather with an awl.  I tried, but eventually had to use a dremel and pre-drill the holes.   Then on top of that i lined it with some closed cell phone and cordura.  I made bags that were a mix of leather and cordura and a bookpack with both too.  that pack lasted me through college and then some.  

just remember, many things are a "do over" so keep that in mind when you do something or a hobby.  It may cost you some money and time, but if you are willing to learn/try, then do what you need to do and keep an open mind.

If you want and if you have access to some leather shops in your area, look for some large "scrap" leather to buy and practice on.  If you can, look for pieces you can use to make "prototpyes" and such.  I have used some heavy poster board to make prototpyes and patterns.  Again, thinking outside the box to help in your skills.

If you screw up, evaluate why.  Just dont toss and start over.   Maybe even keep that and finish up the project to verify the end product will work as intended.  

On my 1st holster i made, it was for a friends Browning High power.  So i made a pattern, cut the leather and started stitching.  I wanted to lace it togeather too instead of saddle stitch and it was a PIA.  Ive laced thin leather, but i never laced an edge ~ 1/2 inch wide, so i had to learn on the fly how to to it.   I did use some scrap and build up to the thickness needed to practice on too.    And to top it off i made it a left handed holster.  I forgot to flip the patten over or the leather over.   ever since then, when i make a holster, i will forget to flip the pattern and always end up making a left hand holster.  but in my friends case, he was left handed and it worked out in the end.

imo, i think its more important you keep on doing.  How you will learn and improve your skills is up to you and either you will do it when you want or outside forces will make you do it.  Again, its your choice.

This!

15 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Speaking of Hermes, here is an article on the difference of a saddle stich and machine stitching that resembles a saddle stitch.  The picture shows how to tell the difference.

https://www.malle2luxe.fr/expertise-recognize-a-couture-hand-stitch-saddle-and-a-sewing-machine-hermes-mail-bag/

incroyable-comment-reconnaitre-une-couture-machine-d-une-couture-main-secret-des-sacs-a-main-de-luxe-hermes.jpg

Thats a great link thanks for that, especially the piece on do not confuse lacing with the saddle stitch and the examples of different types of stitches people think will pass as a saddle stitch, i like the poor attempt of the backstitch on the flesh side ( Envers ). It should help clear up exactly what a saddle stitch is for some.

Thanks again

JCUK

On 2/3/2021 at 1:55 AM, mike02130 said:

This is the same link I posted above. Because of this website I started leather crafting. I thought my Hermes wallets were saddle stitched because of the angled stitched...NOPE.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, chrisash said:

People often forget that old apprentices take between 3-5 years and the First year or so is just practicing the basics every day for the full working day, nothing they did would leave the workshop.

These days we expect to become a crafts person with a few hours a week spend over trying to learn as much as possible without really learning the basics properly

I am aware of this. I would love this kind of apprenticeship...I think they are very rare in the USA. I am going to try the Amblard Leather Atelier but this a one day a week for a year sort of course. Not the same as 3-5 years everyday but I am very lucky to have anything at all that is local. I have very nice Germany cabinets in my kitchen and the guy that installed them went to school for 4-5 years to get a Masters in Cabinetry Manufacturing and Management...I wish we had more vocational schools like they do in Germany.

I tried to get an apprenticeship at Arion Press as they are local here in San Francisco but they haven't had an opening in years. How amazing would it be to learn how to make a $10,000 bible?   

Hello Everyone,

I have been following leatherworker.net for a couple years.  This is my first time commenting on a thread.

I am new to leather working about 2 yrs now.  I have downloaded several patterns you print and then punch out the holes and cut.  The first few were to say the least worse than BAD!!.  I am a bit better but seem to be making items I really don't like and feel like I am wasting leather. I can't get myself to sell them because I can see the flaws. I have given a few away to family and friends and then I went back to making covers and wraps for tools but you can only do that so many times.  

I would like to start making items to sell to at least try and recoup some money to pay for supplies so I can keep doing leather working and get better and maybe some day actually make a good product I feel is worth selling.  My goal is to make bags, purses wallets and glass cases.  

There are many talented people making PDF patterns, or acrylic templates, no one seems to say how they go about making their own patterns.

I have been looking online and can not find anything that give me an idea of where to even start without wasting expensive leather. My biggest problem is calculating holes and spacing and then matching up your holes on pieces especially when doing curves.  I usually use round holes when stitching because I like the look and seating of the thread vs the angled stitches. 

I just bit the bullet and purchased a Cobra Class 26 should be delivered in a few weeks. Hoping this will help with alignment of leather pieces when stitching. 

My question is this?  How does one get started in making their own patterns.  I can't draw even a little.  I tried to use a ruler and graph paper but the whole calculating spacing for holes drove me crazy.  I purchased a machine because I figured if I cut out pieces it would be easier to match up the ends by sewing on a machine than by hand.  I am trying to learn Adobe Illustrator, because I think a lot of people use it make their leather patterns.

Any help or suggestions on how I should go about to produce my own stuff or links to where I can learn to produce my own patterns, would be greatly appreciated.  

I apologize for the long winded explanation.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

@VartLiv If you search YouTube, you'll find a ton of content on pattern making. I believe there is some pattern making content on here as well. Having made some items from patterns in the past you can "see" in your mind how some things go together. You know more than you think you do. Get some empty cereal boxes and start experimenting!

Mascon Leather on YT has a video where he makes some patterns for wallets. They are rudimentary but so are wallets. But there is a good bit of content on pattern making out there.

5 hours ago, VartLiv said:

I will do more searching.  Thanks for the info.

I hope it helps more than feeling like I punted you off to look elsewhere for info. It's just that, for me anyhow, seeing folks make patterns is infinitely more helpful than trying to piece it together from reading it, especially from someone like me who may think he explained it well but didn't really. Don't be afraid to look at pattern makers using cloth as well since leather is basically heavy cloth/textile itself. There are a few differences here and there but you'll pick that up as time goes on.

Also, wrapping paper/cardboard around things and marking edges while it is wrapped gives a relatively decent estimation of a pattern and then you can add room for leather thickness and stitch allowance, etc.

Please don't stop asking questions!

7 hours ago, VartLiv said:

I will do more searching.  Thanks for the info.

I bought a sheet of bag stiffener or the cover of spiral note book or a file from the filing cabinet

and have actually sewed it together, to completion.  and then tore it apart to make patterns, 

sometimes you just have to make do. 

No template,  took a picture off of the internet, glued it to wood and made a template 

then started making the holster using bag stiffener 

20200107_024957.jpg.f3c505cdaad3029ade7052cbbb107d3c.jpg

using some of the original components

20200107_105139.jpg.735a1d8ed9bdb98ba3db490d185fa7c6.jpg

Edited by Frodo

Here are a couple of my earlier projects. The small knife was the earliest attempt for both making knives and sheaths. The first was made from some unknown leather my dad had laying around. The second sheath was made from some W&C i bought, you can still see the fingernail marks from me on the back side, as well the stamping was done years  later when the sheath was dry, yea i just hit real hard, and i discovered stamping tools lol. Its about 25 years old.  But in my defense i was into muzzle-loading back then so most of my stuff was made by a " lonely trapper during the winter with no tools under the flame of a candle" lol.

i think the best way to improve is to be consistent with you practice while still reading and learning the various aspects of the craft. Strive to do some projects above you skill level while still doing projects at your skill level. 

first1.JPG

first2.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati