Simmental

Rawhide Keepers and Covering

Good afternoon all,

I'd like to make some rawhide keepers but I could do with some advice.

I've tied a few turks head knots but they always seem to lose their shape or come loose when I've taken them off the mandrel. 

Should I be tying them over a sleeve and gluing the ends down to stop them coming loose?

I'd also like to braid over some browbands but I'm not sure what braid I should be using, I've tried a few from Bruce Grant's book but I find them a bit complicated and dont get great coverage. 

Could someone suggest a braid or provide a clear explanation of what I should be doing?

Thanks

Johnny

I have made a few keepers, work on a mandrel in the shape you want the finished keeper to be, after it’s dried slide it off & dip in shellac. That’s worked well for me. For covering your browbands your basically talking a long knot. Any of the long knots in Grant’s book will do the trick. Also check out the nose button guide for something longer.

Most problems are solved by waiting twice as long as you think you need to for something to dry, the maybe some more.

Thank you very much for the replies. I certainly haven't been waiting long enough. I also will try dipping them in shellac too. 

I'll check out the long knot. Cheers!