What's going on over there at EBay?   Just saw I got an email a while back (but never opened) .... my "final notice' that I can't sell on Ebay because I didn't give them my banking information ?@!%$!

Uh... I don't sell on Ebay, and even if I did I wouldn't give them my bank info :lol:

I buy machine sewing needles over there, and ocassionally the odd thingie.  I guess I'm a "seller" from the few hard drives I sold on there years back.... but .... :crazy:

7 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Who cares?

Probably people who want to sell on Ebay :lol: 

Paypal did me that way a while back. I got their credit card reader when they first came out. I was never technically a business but now and then I would sell something and take a credit card. I mostly would use it so that my elderly dad (who don't have internet) could pay me for things he wanted me to order online for him. One day my dad sent me some money and paypal held it because I had not provided them my banking information and tax id numbers along with inventory numbers and a few other things. In all the years I had that I had never supplied any of that stuff. My account was basically frozen. I could not send money nor get money. My accounts that use paypal to pay a monthly bill were frozen also. 

I finally got them to release my money and have not used it since because I am scared they will keep my money. I still pay for things but I am afraid to get money. 

Sounds like ebay done the same thing to you. I have not sold there in many many years due to all the fees that they get through out the whole process. 

I think them.......or the government, is trying to make it where people who make a little money on the side, can't. Or they are at least trying to be able to tax every single dollar someone makes. 

I don't have a business on eBay but I do occasionally selling things I no longer need.

eBay and PayPal used to be the same company. They separated several years ago but now eBay is doing all the transaction processing themselves so the fees are slightly less to sell on eBay and eBay gets to make more money by getting to charge a processing fee that would have went to PayPal.

Edited by Brigg

Yep, apparently the contract between ebay and paypal ended, and ebay is using managed payment, which allows them to hold your $$ for like 21 days, and charge you fees immediately after you make a sale.  Ebay keeps the fees instead of sharing with paypal.  It's a money grab for sure, and if they keep all the sellers, will increase the stock price.  If they lose sellers because the little guy does not want to provide a bank account # for them to plunder, or believes that a SSN is not to be shared nilly willy, or does not have a business tax ID , then they will lose stock price.  I imagine that will dictate how they progress.

YinTx

I don't know about the politics but the footfall that you're reaching has got to be worth something. There are three things that are important to me,  cost,  delivery and ease of use. Amazon rocked the boat with "Prime". I was skeptical at first but now I'm loving it. You have to balance the cost against how much you want it and how long you want to wait. With Prime You WILL get it next day often even on a Sunday. What I can't stand about Amazon is the search engine. Put something in and get a pageful of stuff you don't want. Ebay on the other hand is wonderful Put the search term in "" and that's exactly what you get and it get's better. Put "leather" in and get all sorts out. Put leather bag and it won't get much better but if you pu in "Leather bag" - faux -clutch -backpack and you won't get any of those in the results and you can put as many -s in as you like.

From a sellers point of view Ebay is much improved. At the moment the only thing I sell on Ebay fits in a A4 envelope. My phone goes kerching, I click print shipping label, up it comes £0.96P. Print the label, pritstick on the back and if I so wish I can have it in the postbox within 15 mins of "kerching"

Ebay also seem to be doing more and more deals like £1 total selling fees.

I'm only an occasional seller but I think my account is a business one but no one bothers me. Probably because I don't turn over enough.

Ebay has their own banking set up now, instead of going through paypal. Prob that.

their 'hook' is that now you don't have to pay Paypal fees - yet they raised their fee to 13% which is what was with dBay + Paypal before.

I was selling odds and ends on there, but when they asked for banking information and SSN (I am sure it is for taxing purposes), I removed all my items.  Wasn't selling leather goods on there, just cleaning out storage items.

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

I was selling odds and ends on there, but when they asked for banking information and SSN (I am sure it is for taxing purposes), I removed all my items.  Wasn't selling leather goods on there, just cleaning out storage items.

Same.  SSN is not to be given out so readily, nor banking info.  Imagine if they get hacked, what an identity theft nightmare.  Not a chance.

YinTx

I seem to be getting such emails as well - many are spam, phishing to collect confidential information like bank details and SSNs. The scams are more and more sophisticated these days. I always call the actual company and I have yet to find even one of the emails to be authentic. Yet, they appear absolutely authentic in the emails I receive.  I view the 'raw message'. Checking that carefully, you can determine if the message is in fact from eBay or somewhere else. eBay or amazon or other companies will not send emails via  google or yahoo or other such email service providers.