Munday

Hello from Minnesota

I’ve been making knife handles for knife kits and I want to learn how to make sheaths for my knives.  During my research I came across this forum and found it to have a lot of useful information so I’m joining to learn more about leather crafting.  I’m already thinking about making other things such as pouches.  I wonder what kind of a newbie project would be a good tutorial.

I’ve been looking through several leather working supply web sites to evaluate my tool options, I’m trying to determine which tools are worth paying more than an average price.  I have several hobbies and I appreciate good tools.

I got a blank for a quarter round knife.  I’ll make a handle for it, then I’ll use it to make a sheath for it – that’s the plan.  

P1040209.jpg.c583269042a42418e9f77cb08cda609f.jpg

A sheath is a good project to start with.  I’m sure that you’ll find a lot of instructional videos and tutorials on YouTube and on this forum.  I am into both knifemaking and leatherworking.  They are two very complementary hobbies. 
That’s a very nice looking damascus blank.  How’s the quality and where did you find it?  
I think you’ll find leatherworking a fun and rewarding hobby that’s easy to get started with but difficult to master. 
The rabbit hole goes very deep from here. 
Welcome to the forum. 

1 hour ago, Webicons said:

A sheath is a good project to start with.  I’m sure that you’ll find a lot of instructional videos and tutorials on YouTube and on this forum.  I am into both knifemaking and leatherworking.  They are two very complementary hobbies. 
That’s a very nice looking damascus blank.  How’s the quality and where did you find it?  
I think you’ll find leatherworking a fun and rewarding hobby that’s easy to get started with but difficult to master. 
The rabbit hole goes very deep from here. 
Welcome to the forum. 

I found it on Ebay, it came from England and it seems to be good quality.  It cost $38 including shipping (I noticed they raised the price).  They have several versions including half round.  This is the link to the listing on Ebay    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Skiving-tool-Damascus-Steel-Blade-Blank-Leather-Cutter-Blank-LB50/254143805337?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Welcome to the forum @Munday. Those knives have been discussed previously on this forum I think. They certainly look pretty, and they're sorta kinda nearly the right shape for working leather, but I suspect that they're not a high quality tool. I've never handled one and don't want to spend my money on them to find out. Very high chance they're made in Pakistan, which may or may not affect quality however they're far too thick a blade and too shallow a bevel. For comparison my good English and American made round knives are no thicker than 1.8mm, whereas the advert describes them as "3-4mm".

I would be very interested in finding out your experience using that knife!

The blank is 1.95 mm thick but I plan on using a rotary knife and a curved blade knife to start.  I got the quarter round blank more as a knife handle project without knowing how it might work with leather.   I watched a video about knives for leather working and the recommendation for newbies is to use modern tech, a knife with a replacable disk for straight cuts and break-off blade knives or knives with replacable blades for curves.