Jonny8040

Cow Hide Help

Hey guys,

I have a tanned cowhide from an old cow dad used to have. It’s a little stiff at the moment but it in fact is tanned. I’m wanting to make some hair on belts with veg tan backing but don’t know how to get the cow leather supple for belts. Any advise is greatly appreciated! 

in Jesus,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny8040

!'m surprised no one has answered this.  I don't have any answers either but this will at least bump you back to the top.

I've made several belts so far and haven't really worried about them being supple. In fact, I kinda like them to be stiffer than softer. Unless the leather is rock hard, which I'd think maybe it's rawhide, I'd strip it up in the width you want and get to makin'. Do NOT saturate it with oil! 

Aside from that, I'm sure someone will come along with an answer.

If you're going to line the belt, I see no reason you can't apply neat's foot oil to the flesh side. The flesh side absorbs oil better than the grain side anyway!:dunno:

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

apply neat's foot oil to the flesh side.

Warm up the oil (I set the bottle of neatsfoot oil in a pan of warm water for 20 minutes) before you apply it, then only apply in  light coats... you don't want to saturate the leather. Then give the oil a few days to soak in and work its magic. You should see good results.