Leanne

What is this tool?

Hi!

My dad was a leather craft/industrial arts/metal shop high school teacher who died in December. My mom and I found this tool in a separate drawer. We do not know what it is. Can anyone help/advise? We want to find someone who would appreciate it and can use it.

Thank you!

6E36F517-14AF-449B-A396-6F75AADA3093.jpeg

F2B9238F-8844-4046-B550-B9114039F82B.jpeg

Edited by Leanne
Added photos

I believe that is a saw set.  Used to put a slight outward angle on saw teeth.

- Bill

Leanne, I'm so sorry about your dad.  I lost my mom a year ago December.  You have my deepest sympathy.

First I've seen of an in-line handle, both of mine are pistol grip style.  I can see some advantage to the in-line design.  While there are modern ones available, I prefer the quality of vintage so mine both came from antique marts.  It says APEX inside the handle, I assume that's the manufacturer.

10 hours ago, Squid61 said:

First I've seen of an in-line handle, both of mine are pistol grip style.  I can see some advantage to the in-line design.  While there are modern ones available, I prefer the quality of vintage so mine both came from antique marts.  It says APEX inside the handle, I assume that's the manufacturer.

I didn't even catch that APEX marking!   I did a quick google on it and found:   http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw set website/plier2.htm

It's not a tool that sees a lot of use these days, since modern hand-saws are meant to be more or less disposable rather than maintainable until you start getting into "boutique saws".   At one time, though, they were a fairly common tool for woodworkers.  

It's really nice to hold onto tools like these that were in the family.  I have quite a few hand tools going back as much a few generations in some cases.

if you'd like to get an idea of how they are used: 

- Bill

4 hours ago, billybopp said:

I didn't even catch that APEX marking!   I did a quick google on it and found:   http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw set website/plier2.htm

It's not a tool that sees a lot of use these days, since modern hand-saws are meant to be more or less disposable rather than maintainable until you start getting into "boutique saws".   At one time, though, they were a fairly common tool for woodworkers.  

It's really nice to hold onto tools like these that were in the family.  I have quite a few hand tools going back as much a few generations in some cases.

if you'd like to get an idea of how they are used: 

- Bill

I use mine along with a saw vise and a few various sizes of triangle files.  I have half a dozen vintage handsaws that I still use and maintain. 

i could use one of those lol