Kolton45

Light switch covers curling

So I made one of these light switch covers from the springfeild leather pattern pack and I was wondering is there anything i can/ could have done to prevent the corners from curling its 7-8oz hermann oak and i tried flattening it after tooling and all sorts of stuff like that and even glued it to some posterboard which helped alot but still not perfect any tips for future projects would be appreciated thank you in advance 

Screenshot_20210201-180614_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-180620_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-180617_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Kolton45

G'Day, love the idea .

Perhaps try a stiffer back board?  Can they be fixed to the wall on the corners? Not knowing what the wall is made of, perhaps a  small decorative brass screw, nail etc. in each corner ? Or, double sided tape?  Just a few ideas.

HS

Wet the ply, put a small nut or something under the center and clamp/weigh down the edges. Leave to dry completely or put it in the oven. Go easy when screwing to the wall.

You could do this with that one.

Edited by toxo

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, love the idea .

Perhaps try a stiffer back board?  Can they be fixed to the wall on the corners? Not knowing what the wall is made of, perhaps a  small decorative brass screw, nail etc. in each corner ? Or, double sided tape?  Just a few ideas.

HS

Yeah I was after I noticed the problem I figured if I woulda used a thicker peice of leather it probably wouldn't curl as much and its dry wall I might try the double sided tape next 

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Wet the ply, put a small nut or something under the center and clamp/weigh down the edges. Leave to dry completely or put it in the oven. Go easy when screwing to the wall.

You could do this with that one.

I tried all that expect I didnt use the oven and it helped alot but still had some curl on the edges 

Its curling because the leather is drying out and there is tension. You need to counter that tension, with a piece of leather glued on the back. A slightly thicker piece. Dampen it and let it dry out. I believe as the backing piece dries it will pull the corners and edges down

What you need to do is get the back wet . . . not enough to come up and mess with the tooling . . . but wet none the less.

Then take it in your hands and re-form it the other way . . . so when you lay it down so the tooling is up . . . then the belly or center will look bowed up. 

It will take a bit of time to do this being careful not to mess up the tooling . . . but if you keep bending with your fingers . . . holding down the sides . . . pushing up in the middle . . . you'll get it.

Then if you have a hot box . . . put it in there to dry . . . if not, an oven at 140 deg F or less . . .  lay it down in there . . .tooling side down . . . let it dry.

You can then put it on the wall . . . the screw will pull it flat . . . but only pull it tight enough to put the dimmer handles back on.

A couple coats of Resolene on the front and the back will help it maintain that new shape.

May God bless,

Dwight

Wow, that is a really nice use of leather.  That looks really nice!

How bout some 2 sided tape:)